Author Topic: Noisy Inverters  (Read 391 times)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Noisy Inverters
« on: February 24, 2024, 02:04:34 AM »
For a long time I had an old Xantrex SW4024 inverter, which was a great workhorse inverter until mice built a nest in it, and it had to be scrapped.  It worked well, but it was loud.  Immediately after installing it in my "battery shed" and switching it on, I thought, "well that's never going in the house".  Louder than a clothes dryer.

Fast-forward a couple of decades and I'm shopping for another inverter, which I would install in the house if it's quiet.  But I can't find one.  All this solid-state switching power supplies replacing coils of copper, but it's still just as noisy.  If an inverter has any noise rating at all (some don't) it's pretty loud, like 60dB.  That's actually quite loud, especially for a noise that is constantly humming away.  The layout of my house puts the systems (electrical, heat, water etc.) in the center and the rooms radiate outward.  That doesn't allow the inverter to be installed far away from bedrooms, the dining room, or the living room. 

Outback doesn't give any noise data, but the installation manual for the Radian says this, "Avoid large air gaps behind the Radian inverter/charger and its mounting plate. These can result in louder mechanical noise during heavy inverting or charging."  LOUDER?

Sunny Boy is 45 dB
SRNE is 60dB
Fronius is "<65dB"

These are all about as loud, or louder, than a clothes dryer.  I can choose to close the door of my laundry room, but the electrical panel, where I would locate an inverter, is not isolated like that.

The Sunny Boy is the quietest I have found.  Can anyone report their experience of the noise emitted by a SB inverter when it's inverting heavy loads?
Another solution is to use string inverters like Enphase, but that limits my options drastically. 

Does anyone know of a quiet grid-tie inverter?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Noisy Inverters
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 04:04:39 AM »
I have now relatively old Sunny Boys (1100s and a 1200) more than a decade old, in my loft.

I have not sat next to them at peak generation but I can't say that I've noticed any significant noise from them at all.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2024, 10:45:02 AM »
For a long time I had an old Xantrex SW4024 inverter, which was a great workhorse inverter until mice built a nest in it, and it had to be scrapped.  It worked well, but it was loud.  Immediately after installing it in my "battery shed" and switching it on, I thought, "well that's never going in the house".  Louder than a clothes dryer.

Fast-forward a couple of decades and I'm shopping for another inverter, which I would install in the house if it's quiet.  But I can't find one.  All this solid-state switching power supplies replacing coils of copper, but it's still just as noisy.  If an inverter has any noise rating at all (some don't) it's pretty loud, like 60dB.  That's actually quite loud, especially for a noise that is constantly humming away.  The layout of my house puts the systems (electrical, heat, water etc.) in the center and the rooms radiate outward.  That doesn't allow the inverter to be installed far away from bedrooms, the dining room, or the living room. 

Outback doesn't give any noise data, but the installation manual for the Radian says this, "Avoid large air gaps behind the Radian inverter/charger and its mounting plate. These can result in louder mechanical noise during heavy inverting or charging."  LOUDER?

Sunny Boy is 45 dB
SRNE is 60dB
Fronius is "<65dB"

These are all about as loud, or louder, than a clothes dryer.  I can choose to close the door of my laundry room, but the electrical panel, where I would locate an inverter, is not isolated like that.

The Sunny Boy is the quietest I have found.  Can anyone report their experience of the noise emitted by a SB inverter when it's inverting heavy loads?
Another solution is to use string inverters like Enphase, but that limits my options drastically. 

Does anyone know of a quiet grid-tie inverter?

Noise generation in newer units is going to be from the fans... and from using non-potted transformers that vibrate(and fail faster! Built in obsolescence!). Not much you can do for the first... the second you could get transformer varnish and dribble it in... but it won't reach in very well.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2024, 02:14:20 PM »
I have not sat next to them at peak generation

Imagine sitting next to them while eating breakfast.  That's basically where I'd put such an inverter, unless I remodel the kitchen too.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2024, 02:16:01 PM »
I found that SolarEdge inverters 6kW or less have <25 dB noise.  Exactly as Mary said, it's because they don't need a cooling fan.
SolarEdge isn't exactly what I'm looking for, because they don't support batteries, but there's hope, so I'll keep looking.
www.sparweb.ca

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2024, 04:01:12 PM »
I think that breakfast among my herd of four inverters would be OK.  Probably no louder than the fridge, but again, I've not sat with them at the right/wrong times!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2024, 06:42:57 PM »
How big a grid tie solar are you planning?

My off grid magnum inverter buzzes a bit.  It only gets noisy when the fan runs.  It's not unpleasant either, just a fan.  Comparable to a modern fridge or freezer i would think. 

Fyi i see you are looking at midnite classics.  They are somewhat noisy when the cooling fan kicks on too.  Ours is right below our bedroom and you know when it is making power.  It's not a bother, you can just hear it. 

I still can't help you on grid tie inverters.  I have an 8kw tentatively planned for my mom's house.  I think the fronius primo was my pick last i looked.  I think outback hybrid inverters would be my first instinct for grid / batteries.  I don't know the specs or competitors though. 

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 12:50:26 AM »
I'm still in research mode but I am finding useful information.
Not all manufacturers publish a number, but some do, and some patters appear.

In the noise category, the SolarEdge is the quietest at 25dB which is like a computer fan.  That one also installs outdoors, and relies on convective cooling not a fan at all, therefore less things to fail.  The SolarEdge does not , however, do battery charging.  That rules it out for use with my wind turbine, but something I'll bear in mind if I decide to put solar panels on the roof of the house, not the garage.
www.sparweb.ca