Author Topic: How to make a high voltage stator?  (Read 2724 times)

Subman

How to make a high voltage stator?
« on: March 20, 2013, 07:15:55 PM »
Hi all
I am building a GORLOV it will be 4' in dia. and 8' high and it will be fully submerged in a 8 knot river. I will be putting generator directly on top so it will be direct drive. The run to the house is about 60 yards so I would like to produce high voltage for less loss and put it through a transformer at the house hopefully producing at least 1kw. All the stators I have seen on the web that people have build are low voltage. Any help is very much appreciated. Even if I should I should buy instead of build.
Charles
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:23:37 PM by Subman »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: How to make a high voltage stator?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 10:21:50 PM »
The usual way is to make lower voltage at the mill and run that into an inverter to step it up. High voltage ac and water isn't the safest mix. 60 yards isn't far if the inverter produces household split phase.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 10:56:09 PM »
that is a rare creature
i don't recall any one building one on this forum
but there are very knowledgeable  builders here so  it should be possible to extrapolate.
 i'm thinking a modest rpm put lots of torque .
8knots /converted to ft.per minuet and divided by the circumference.
but you will be running at less than 1 to 1 when the alt is loaded.

don't know what your alternator experience is
you will have the torque to push against a big alternator.
the voltage you get will be directly related to the number of turns per phase.
with lots of big mags you can get the volts you want and amps
once you build a big alternator you do a series of test coils and design the stator around them.
please keep in touch and post your progress.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:01:37 PM by electrondady1 »

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 01:19:07 PM »
Number of poles = RPM  ie:  2pole = 3600rpm;  4pole = 1800 rpm 8pole = 900rpm to get 60 Hertz

Number of windings per coil = Voltage

If Generating and using pure AC I'd suggest 3 phases at either 440v or 600V most common grid transformers, keep in mind transformers are not cheap no matter how you slice it!

if below 300 feet then a simple 2 phase at 240v will be more then sufficient with a centre tap
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!