Author Topic: Need bicycle parts  (Read 7555 times)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Need bicycle parts
« on: May 21, 2013, 06:13:21 PM »
My eBike hub cracked inside and the bearings on that side caved in. I made a temporary fix using a sealed bearing on that side, but that bearing failed, too. I had bought 2 of the sealed bearings, so I reinforced the inside with a lock nut and washer and that held until I was able to get a complete wheel replacement from CurrieTech. I bought a consumer grade bike tool kit from eBay and removed the cassette. With a bench vise and arc welder I was able to remove the freewheel/drive gear on the other side so I now have a stripped wheel with a broken hub.

How do I identify the hub? The rim says Veronique, but the only hub marking is 7L and the maker's mark K7. The threads on the cassette side are right hand and on the freewheel side are left hand.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
Re: Need bicycle parts
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 10:15:57 AM »
hubs are pretty universal, just bring the old one with you to any half descent bike shop and if they don't have it in stock will be able to order it for ya.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 10:46:56 AM »
hubs are pretty universal, just bring the old one with you to any half descent bike shop and if they don't have it in stock will be able to order it for ya.
You can pick up a whole bicycle for about $10-15 from salvation army or goodwill too !
Norm.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 12:48:03 PM »
he won't get the type of hub he needs from there, he needs a duel threaded hub to attach the electric drive sprocket/freewheel mechanism.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

MagicValleyHPV

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 10:42:39 AM »
dnix71,

The bearing cups are usually pressed in the hub. You should be able to knock-out the cups and replace them. Or, after removing the cups, replace them with caged sealed bearings. If you use caged bearings, you'll need to fab a spacer between the bearings (a short section of tubing). Most current bike hubs now use caged bearings. 

MagicValleyHPV

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 11:23:41 AM »
Also - You might wish to checkout these guys: http://www.evdeals.com/Gearing.htm

They show a hub very similar to yours:

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 12:37:44 PM »
The bearings on mine are caged, but they simply rest inside the cup built-in to the hub. K7 hubs are supposed to be top quality, but there are knock-offs, since this is Chinese manufacture.

I'll give the guy you linked to an email, MagicValleyHPV and see what he says. The hubs he has look like they were made for pressed in bearings and are much stronger. The biggest problem with this eBike is the lack of rear shocks and a very heavy back end. I had one of the batteries in a basket in the front for better weight distribution, but the basket kept breaking and the extra weight over the front wheel made it handle strangely.

As it is now, it still handles more like a motorcycle than a bicycle simply because of the weight of the batteries. I could buy lithium batteries for it, but I consider that the cost (5 times what I paid for SLA's) to be vulgar.

I still park my van on Friday and tool around on the weekend on the bicycle. I just have to mind the weather this time of year. We've had lots of rain the past week in south Florida and it looks like that's going to continue.

MagicValleyHPV

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 10:35:36 AM »
Did I read somewhere that you are using 2 35Ah batteries?  What is the estimated gross weight of this rig (with you aboard)?

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 06:01:40 PM »
Gross weight pretty much says it all. I weigh over 200, probably 220, I don't know. Without the SLA's the bike can be carried in one hand, otherwise it's hard to lift the back at all. I ride very slowly most times because it's such a rough ride with all that weight. NiCads wouldn't be any lighter. The problem with SLAs is they have to be twice the size you actually intend to use so you don't ruin them by going completely down each cycle.

I use to laugh at the ladders that Home Depot sold. They had OSHA ratings like 180 lbs. and I remember thinking just my body weight alone would violate the regs, never mind actually trying to use the ladder to do something that required tools.

taylorp035

• Stressed spelled backwards is Desserts
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 09:08:48 PM »
I would definitely look for a hub with pressed in bearings.  All of the hubs I have for the car use 4 bearings total.  The cheap cage bearings found in many hubs would never stand up to the added weight and tension from the chain.

We have used odyssey hubs in the past, but they run $130 (from my quick search) and they don't come with an optional multi-sprocket cassette driver that is easy to hook up to any more in left hand drive format.  The new hub we ran this year is probably not in your price range.

Why not use a RHD hub?  They are a lot easier to get....

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 09:16:47 AM »
Gross weight pretty much says it all. I weigh over 200, probably 220, I don't know. Without the SLA's the bike can be carried in one hand, otherwise it's hard to lift the back at all. I ride very slowly most times because it's such a rough ride with all that weight. NiCads wouldn't be any lighter. The problem with SLAs is they have to be twice the size you actually intend to use so you don't ruin them by going completely down each cycle.
    You have answered your problem....the way I see it  first of all use the bike to exercise
to lose weight ....since you won't need to depend on battery power as much you can use much smaller batteries a 20 amp NiCad  will be much much lighter so the handling will be much
easier.

I practice what I preach I regularly pedal a PedGen and sometimes only a regular exercise
bike but it amounts to virtually Walking 5 miles as the wheel if it were touch the ground
would travel 3 MPH ! yes....that's right I'm not  exaggerating
   I've brought my weight down from 232 to 189 sometimes 183  I'm 82 yrs young (sometimes
I feel more like 92 .
    So I hope this inspires you a little, get rid of the weight and it's amazing how much better
you will feel .....honest !

Norm.