Author Topic: Battery bank problem  (Read 6380 times)

guruji

Battery bank problem
« on: May 30, 2013, 03:20:35 PM »
Hi guys I have my battery bank cannot charge more than 11.20v :(
I have two oscillators on it to desulphate but still no higher charge.
Any clue please?
Thanks

madlabs

Re: Battery bank problem
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »
Gonna need more info. How many of what kind of battery? How old and used are they? How have you been charging them? Give us as much info as you can and maybe folks can help.

Sounds like your batteries might be in deep trouble though.

Jonathan

guruji

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »
Jonathan Thanks for response.
I have six fork lifter batteries connected to two 100amp gel batteries.
I had bought these batteries from scrap but by pulsing them in the past I recovered them.
But now don't know what happened :-\

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 12:28:49 AM »
I had bought these batteries from scrap but by pulsing them in the past I recovered them.

Well, I can say that at 11.2 volts your batteries are pretty much done for.  It's kind of like a person that dies - they might gasp for air, and then tip over face down in the dirt.  You can do CPR and try to revive 'em, but they're dead and it don't work.

I think your batteries, at that voltage, are pretty much face down in the dirt and you may as well arrange the funeral.
--
Chris

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 10:35:21 AM »
Hey Chris.....but the batteries are recyclable
Not to many people are tho' except for donor parts.
Norm.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 10:47:21 AM »
Not to many people are tho' except for donor parts.

Ever heard of Soylent Green?
--
Chris

guruji

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 04:10:55 PM »

Well, I can say that at 11.2 volts your batteries are pretty much done for.  It's kind of like a person that dies - they might gasp for air, and then tip over face down in the dirt.  You can do CPR and try to revive 'em, but they're dead and it don't work.

I think your batteries, at that voltage, are pretty much face down in the dirt and you may as well arrange the funeral.
--
Chris

Chris I liked your comments regarding arranging the funeral LOL
Today I took off one of the Gel batts and voltage risen to 12.10v  :)
Hooray.
Ok thanks guys for response.

madlabs

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 07:01:48 PM »
--
Chris

Soylent green IS people!

A mixed bank of gel and lead acid batteries aren't going to play well together anyway, so leave them out of it. Charge up the other batteries and let them sit overnight and then measure the voltage. That will tell you something. Then you can see how long they last. What are ya doing with 'em, anyway?

Jonathan

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 07:09:30 PM »
Soylent green IS people!

Yeah, that was the point.  Norm said you can't really recycle people.  But you can with Soylent Green.  I seen it on TV so it has to be true.
--
Chris

guruji

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 04:09:39 AM »
--
Chris

Soylent green IS people!

A mixed bank of gel and lead acid batteries aren't going to play well together anyway, so leave them out of it. Charge up the other batteries and let them sit overnight and then measure the voltage. That will tell you something. Then you can see how long they last. What are ya doing with 'em, anyway?

Jonathan

I did not got it this Soylent green. Anyway I've been long using this bank with no problems. I use it for night lights; inverter and even used my computer on it.
Yes that's what I did as I told the problem is one of the 100amp gel. I'm pulsing this now already so a little progress on it.
Thanks

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 12:30:37 AM »
Gells suck, get rid of them or use them as an isolated bank, you really can't mix different capacity banks with out a loser, in this case your good fork lift batts will be the losers in the end as the gells drag them down.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 01:54:22 AM »
I don't agree that gels suck at all: I have a big set myself.

But I do agree that they should not be mixed with non-gel batteries for a number of reasons.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 12:08:33 PM »
well I say they suck is due to how percise the charging regime is on them, in my experiance you really need to baby them or have a very good controler programed dead on.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

guruji

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 03:10:54 PM »
These Gel batts are very strong 100amp each. One of them is  same as the six forklift batts.
Still have to see the good one if it gets higher volts with pulsing.
Thanks

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 02:44:27 AM »
i also don't agree that gels suck.  they're just different.  they're definitely not the battery for me!  i don't have the patience for them. 

i really like a good long bubbling equalize in my trojans, where water is needed afterwards...  but that's just me...

adam

guruji

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »
Another thing want to say is it ok to do vaporize water in batteries as distilled or distilled water would be very pure?
Thanks