Author Topic: Desk Top PS Charge Deep cycle ?  (Read 2205 times)

Dispatcherjinn

Desk Top PS Charge Deep cycle ?
« on: June 20, 2013, 09:38:53 AM »
I was wonder if any one here knows off the top of the head if it is possible to use 1 or 2 stranded computer power supply maintain a pair of 109ah battery, I want to change out my trailer lighting to low volt led's and do some of the charging with portal wind and solar. Have on hand a few 18 and 24 amp desk top power supply's on hand and want to get the inefficient monster out from under the trailers sink !
Thank for any ideas or thoughts

joestue

Re: Desk Top PS Charge Deep cycle ?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:16:42 PM »
problem is the control loop is set up to keep a regulated voltage.

if you can figure out how to get the smps to output 12.8 volts, you can then use a schottky diode in series to keep the battery at 12.5 volts.
you can then hook up an external current source to equalize the battery on occasion without disconnecting the computer power supply (which requires pushing the battery up to 14.5+ volts.)

that "inefficient monster" might not be that worse than a computer power supply, unless its one of those 90+ % efficient types.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

Dispatcherjinn

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 09:56:08 AM »
Yahh this power supply is sucking up about 25 bux a week just using casual water pump and trailer lights and keeping for now 1 109 ah deep cycle charged, I only have 2 weeks left on it connected to my house I'm closing up , Then I start a few years road venture > I was hopping some how I could get my self organized so when i visit farms 5 days at a time i wasn't a burden on there utility's, But I guess i live with it and hope sales go good and then i can afford a new power pack with better efficiency. I figure the battery and inverter should only really be working to keep the fridge running as I am on the roads and then the trailer is tied to the trucks charging system any way. As I am on the road I am finishing up a small wind gen for both additional charging and as a attention banner of sorts since my product is better winded horse race formula, and possibly stir up more interest to the pages here. Or open some potential income to some of are member since theses Horse training centers are clear for wind harvesting and a lot of these guys are like minded.
  What stinks is i have a Excell that quit long ago and was great keeping a battery bank charged and even had a programed battery bank equalizer and full adjustments easy to use. But i can not find any one to repair the the charging inverter. I am carrying it along any way in hopes along the travail i find a repair shop. But mean time it should serve as a anchor i guess for the land yacht ha ha ha . I'm heading into to tornado country after all ! ? ! !
  I'm not sure my Mifi will work in Oz so i best keep the trailer on this side of the rainbow?
Thanks

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 03:19:04 PM »
After reading this, I think there some differences in what you are calling a Power supply and what people like me who are coming from the computer world call Desk top PS.
However since I know tons about Wifi 3G cards and even what Mifi stands for  ;D. Let me at least help you with that part.
The Mifi's ability to work really depends on which company you have the service with. Most SIM card based units will have the ability to obtain international data plans, you merely need to call your provider and ask. NOTE:! It will not be cheap! a one months 100Mb of international data plans can cost more a a 5Gig local plan! and IF by chance you go over that 100Mb be ready for a real sticker shock!
Your better route would be to purchase a OZ base Mifi unit and once finished there let it expire, even at  the higher rates, you'll have better coverage and overall costs will be lower.
Last time I allowed a unit for international data plans for one of my ex-companies travel PMs they had excellent coverage at pretty good rates in Christchurch.
Hope that part helps.
You might also upload a picture off what you are calling a desk top PS. We might be calling it a an inverter + charger system  :o
Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 03:45:08 PM »
10 10gb a month cell plan is $60 a month. To use the desktop supplies you would have to basically add a charge controller. Tweak the supplies to 14 volts and feed it into the charge controller. At that point you may as well buy a nice charger and be done with it.

Dispatcherjinn

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 10:23:56 AM »
I am ok with my Mifi except what i learned in Shenzhen China and the Verizon there, We get ripped in the states coz are stuff has locks built in. Also My Verizon told me my LG phone and mifi would work outside Hon Kong Shenzhen and no need put the account on idial. That was a blighted lie and I could not set the account to idea with out walking in a Verizon owned store. Verizon aboard is no ware the same as in the USA, We get ripped here big time. The Verizon in China was helpful and sent to a bazaar place like 3 super wall marts stacked up. Just say Electric City and a cabbie from Hong Kong or Shenzhen will know it in English and poof there off. I bought a usb with a holder for 2 simms cards for 26 usd that worked well every ware including here in the states . Most every ware in Asia i went the access was avalabal 24 7 on the streets at about a buck a day access and was impressive. Then to you find McDonald's most every ware and other free wifi like dunking donuts or even stare bucks or reasonable fact simales  :o
  Any way. Scrub Plane C . I am back to plan B and i think my power pack in the trailer will be fine so any one need a DTPS ? It seams when I called the power company with a disconnection date of the 5th July. I check the current bill. It was below 50 bux and I guess the cut off date triggered a correction from there system doing a assessment billing and they ware way over . Aggravating when looking back all the time i wasted looking for a drain load i concluded was the power pack. I will finish my hard drive genny and use the Desk Top Supply for a designated utility charger i found following links about the DTPS  Thanks Folks !
  FYI Plane A ? AS they say in the TV adds. You Gotta Play To Win  :)