Author Topic: 32 Volt Battery Bank  (Read 3863 times)

adobejoe

32 Volt Battery Bank
« on: July 26, 2013, 05:25:03 PM »
Restoring an older Wincharger, MDL 978F, for a small cabin.
This system is 32 V, although name plate shows 35 V/18Amp/2000 RPM.
Battery combinations are not very convenient, ie: 12 does not go into 32, or 6, so is the basic option to use a bunch of 2 Volt cells? I also want to use two Kyocero pv panels on a separate charger and they are 220 Watt, 24 VDC.

Ideas as how to configure battery? It is a very small cabin only used on weekends, so I don not need excess storage.

Adobeoe

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: 32 Volt Battery Bank
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 06:45:25 PM »
24v is really 28 at full charge. A decent charge controller should be able to handle that. I run my panels at 44v open circuit into a "12v" system through a charge controller.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 08:48:45 PM »
No, I sense a mis-match that could cause trouble.
The original systems from the '40s required 5 or 6 x 6Volt batteries, I think.  They also had to have a field coil excited by the battery, before the main windings would generate the battery charge current.  That might not work if you use a 24V battery, unless you modify it.

general info:    http://www.windcharger.org/Wind_Charger/Wincharger.html
In the history I think the 32V system was chosen to match a common type of Delco generator.

I think some members have posted stories of restoring and converting these generators for different battery voltages.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »
This is a Jacobs, not a Windcharger, but some electrical details were dealt with that may help you:

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,143812.0.html
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 09:43:59 PM »
if you have the appliances that require a 32 volt bank, and the wind gennie is setup as a 32 volt system, them why not go with 4 of the 8volt golf cart batteries?

if you don't have the antique appliances, then if it were me, i would regulate the thing to charge a 24volt bank and use off the shelf solutions for making 120vac to power my stuff (of 230vac in europe)

finding a 32volt modern inverter is not of the question, just not as easy to get your hands on and likely costly... exeltech will set one up to any voltage within reason... 32 volt dc to 120vac is something they can do very easily i suspect.
fwiw?
bob g

research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

adobejoe

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 07:29:00 PM »
Thanks for input. Did not realize golf cart batterries are 8 volt, so that makes sense, 4 will give me 32. I will likely get the exeltech DC-AC converter, and I may wire in a separate 32 volt DC outlet for fun. I notice Trogan also makes an 8 volt battery.
I have a couple of PV panels, so will trickle charge the setup with them, and use the Wincharger when cabin is occupied, mostly weekends with guests. I have the old control panel, charger with relay so will be kind of neat to use that old technology.

Thanks!

AdobeJoe