Logged in users > User Diaries

4 stroke lawn mower converted to steam, fabricating boiler

(1/9) > >>

GoVertical:
Hi, after two years of testing the VAWT I realized I live in a really low wind area. I learned a lot of great stuff about PMA's and the need for a MPPT circuit. Basically I am taking the low RPM VAWT PMA and applying it the steam project.

Converting the 4 stroke to a two stroke was accomplished by using JB weld to add two additional cam lobes 180 degrees out off phase from the ones that were already there.

Using 100 psi air the max RPM is 700 to 750. At 50 psi air the RPM's are over 500.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMymgCet-Sk

I have started the fabrication of a mono tube boiler.

So far I have fabricated the pump that will be used to replace the boiler water as the steam is driving the engine.

NOTE: JW these images that wont display is because the forum there posted on will not allow them to show. Its kinda like pictures posted to the PUB not allowed to be viewed on the open forum. 

electrondady1:
 those are interesting rpm figures.
isn't jb weld a type of glue or resin?
 i can't see those  lobes  lasting  long with real steam.

GoVertical:
Hi, it is a two part, high temp, epoxy. This is just a first attempt to get some experience working with steam.  If I can get it to work the plan is to run it until it breaks and then do a upgrade of the failed part.

I plan to use a small rocket stove for the fire box.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfoDyKCA3xs

GoVertical:

possible safety valve for review

project is for a small 1 to 2 hp system

JW:
The air cooling fins must be removed since they will absorb heat and condense your steam. With your air running tests, you should notice them getting cool.

JW

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version