Author Topic: Li-Po batt in tablet;non-removable  (Read 9632 times)

domi

Li-Po batt in tablet;non-removable
« on: August 20, 2013, 06:18:34 PM »
Huawei Mediapad 7 Lite tablet has a 4,100mAh LiPo battery, which is non-removable. Isn' that strange? What do I do once the battery conks out? Keep it on charge all the time? Do I have to break the alu case open to get at the battery?

Thanks.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Li-Po batt in tablet;non-removable
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 07:47:18 PM »
The battery is probably a special shape/size. You couldn't buy a replacement if you wanted to. When it wears out you will need to send it back to the maker for service. Apple did some of their pads and phones that way. The battery may be the lipo type that is flammable, so they don't want you messing with it anyway.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1042700/dell-laptop-explodes-japanese-conference pix here showing what can go wrong. This laptop was a Dell.

This one went off in LAX https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlZggVrF9VI

one-of-those-tinkerers

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 10:55:21 AM »
I am certain that this tablet uses Li-Polymer accumulators just because there is barely anything else available in that shape.

What i suggest to give it the longest possible life is to keep it cool (every degree shortens the life) and keep it charged between 20 and 80%. It is espically the combination of heat and repeated charging to 100% (the so called microcycles) that kills laptop accumulators.

Li-Ion-Cells (Li-Polymer is an subfamily of them) are known to burst into flames for three reasons:
1. electrical abuse (should be prevented by the protection circuits)
2. mechanical damage (the thin polymer cells are espically sensitive to this)
3. internal contamination from the manufacturing process (thats what went wrong with those laptops)

If you need to replace the cells you should do it in this way:

Open the case without damaging anything inside. There might be thin wires or foils just behind the edge of the case. I am sorry that i dont know your tablet but those that i have already repaired were either hold together with hooks in one side of the case and an groove in the other side or they had screws hidden under labels.

Remove the old accumulator with greatest care to not cut or puncture its foil case or bending it.

Keep an bucket of sand ready and pour it over the cell if it suddenly gets hot or begins to do other bad things.

Measure its size and ask an shop for radio controlled modell cars if they have something similar.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 11:09:10 AM »
OR take the unit to a professional repair shop who will even give you a warranty on their work.
We have a 3Gs IPhone that is on its 2nd battery, which was less expensive than replacing or even upgrading it.
Tablets are no different than cell phones with non-removable batteries.

Best of Luck, if you cannot find a place local let us know I can point you to one I've used for years and they seem to be based in most of the larger USA cities.
Cheers
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

domi

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 06:14:33 PM »
Thanks for all the answers.
dom