Spirit of Zubbly was lowered for servicing today. In the end, just grease on the tail shaft and yaw bearing were
needed. A squeak had developed, which could only be heard during storms strong enough to raise the tail, so it
was obvious where it was coming from. When I disassembled the tail's pivot, I found nothing but grime was left
inside. Since I never did anything to seal the grease in, I just cleaned the pivot, re-greased it, and I'll cross my
fingers for another 2 years noise-free.
Speaking of grease (remembering a previous discussion on the subject) the shaft bearings are running as smooth
as ever and I haven't heard any squeaks on deep-freeze days like I was before.
Nothing was particularly rusty or needing work, but I sprayed a bit of paint just to pretty it up again. The rubber
tail bumper has some cracks but is still solid, while the rubber vibration dampers have no cracks and are still firm.
No loose bolts were found and normal play was found in the moving joints. The blades will need to be re-finished
in the summer. Every time I work on this machine, I silently say "thanks" to the guy who inspired the project and
showed me how to make a durable and effective machine.
Here are some pictures after the job was complete.