Author Topic: generator conversion  (Read 2413 times)

delboyo

generator conversion
« on: November 21, 2013, 08:20:48 PM »
good evening all,i have got my hands on a wolf 850 portable generator,the engine was shot so i removed the piston and conrod,could you tell me if this is a way to generate electricity if i convert it to wind power,as far as i can make out all the motor does is turn the stator.

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
Re: generator conversion
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 09:32:54 PM »
you would need a fairly large  probably at least 13 to 14 ft plus it would need geared up to turn the rotor 3600 RPM and some means to maintain that RPM for a 60hz 120v output. OR rectify it to DC and run it into a MPPT charge controller
 I have no Idea what cut in sp a gen head like that would need
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

delboyo

Re: generator conversion
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 11:56:42 AM »
thankyou for that frank,i think i will stick to the proven methods until i learn a bit more.i decided to build a magnetic genny so wish me luck,its my first ever electrical project,i want to charge batteries so is the best current ac rectified or dc through a charge controller.dont know exactly how im going to turn it yet, thats still to be designed,water or air?have,nt figured that one out yet.