Author Topic: zinc air batteries  (Read 2271 times)

bob golding

zinc air batteries
« on: January 22, 2014, 02:32:48 PM »
hi all, not been posting  for a while as i  now have mainly solar, rather than wind. less exciting but more reliable ;D in my continuing quest to find a better option than lead acid for storage i have come across rechargable zinc air cells. of course you can't buy them yet but they sound VERY interesting for storage of wind/solar. cheaper lighter and recharge /discharge cycles in the 1000's. i am in contact with one company that is rolling out megawatt scale systems this year. the company is called eos. of course it could all go south, but so far sounds pretty much what we need. the discharge rate is very low at less than .6 of C but for solar/wind systems into an inverter this shouldnt be a real problem.  still waiting to hear about charge /discharge parameters plus i have asked them about conparisons with FLA such as leaving them discharged overcharging and equilisation ect. the thing that is really interesting is in this report about world zinc reserves.  makes interesting reading. of course a large mining conglomerate has noticed and has snapped up some patents. nothing wrong with that as long as they dont just bury it.

haer is the link to the report.
http://www.qsinano.com/pdf/The_Zinc_Air_Solution.pdf
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

jlt

Re: zinc air batteries
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 12:28:49 PM »
       One thing for sure they will only make battery's that need to be replaced .every few years.

bob golding

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 03:03:26 PM »
we are talking large storage battery banks here. some batteries already do around 10  to 20 years. the problem is not the requirement to sell more batteries,but rather the limitations of lead acid  battery design. i feel that  it is already as far as is practical to go in terms of cost weight and performance. you could have lead acid batteries that last 50 years but the sheer size would limit those to telecom back up and grid  peaking. as  that report says the practical limits are already near what is possible and  economical. sure for  simple tasks like car electrics a long life battery would be nice but is impractical. they are already as cheap as they can get considering the environment they have to perform in. consider them a consumable same as oil filters belts ect. say they cost 100 dollars ,and last 2 years. that's only one dollar per day. not bad when you think how hard it has to work.
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 04:15:26 PM »
I live in a climate that is not kind to car batteries, -31f to +101 at my house that my last car battery went through. When the car was totaled in an accident the battery was 6 years old and still going.