Author Topic: Sad news: Small wind manufacturer closes its doors, but why??  (Read 24567 times)

cardamon

Re: Sad news: Small wind manufacturer closes its doors, but why??
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2014, 01:08:14 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aREuFeKNrAY

Disclaimer: I may have embellished a bit when I said "rocking out", Neither of us are very good guitar players.....

Boondocker

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2014, 08:12:41 AM »
Here is another way looking at the cost comparison of RE system.   Compare the price of property that has electrical service on it verses land that doesn't.   Then for the property that doesn't have electricity, determine the cost of getting the power line to the spot you desire.

Another thing is the RE requires your participation, much more for wind than solar.   

MIgardener

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2014, 08:11:41 PM »
You will never even pay for the magnets in the generator in your lifetime when you can buy utility power for 20 cents/kWh.

what are you paying of magnets?

good thing i bought mine before the price went up !

i was doing some work at a clients house and they  had a south west system. it was a two bladed unit on a tapering lattice work tower. grid tied.
professionally installed they seemed happy with it.

I few years ago I bought 30 2x1x1/2 magnets on ebay for like $1.50 a piece. Guess I got lucky.
,Jake

MIgardener

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2014, 08:14:40 PM »

Oh fear not, I have footage.  I have been meaning to put it up on youtube.....soon.

My opinion, not that anyone cares no doubt ;), is that I could see some approved engineered plans being required for wind turbine towers in populated areas and/or where the tower could falll on adjacent property.  If its on my 120 acres in the woods, I should be able to do whatever I want.  I can kinda understand the desire/philosophy of the government protecting those who cant protect themselves, like the children of some dumb parents who put the kids' sandbox underneath an inadequate homebrew wind turbine tower.....but its a real slippery slope to me.

Can we please not get into politics again.  BTW, sorry for that comment I made on the last page. I am afraid I started something there.
,Jake

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2014, 10:02:27 PM »
too late now Mr. gardener
by joining the forum your now part of the  rebel alliance

MIgardener

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2014, 10:21:09 PM »
too late now Mr. gardener
by joining the forum your now part of the  rebel alliance
Funny
,Jake

cardamon

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2014, 04:59:12 PM »
Ok I'll redeem myself with a response to the specific OP. My whisper 200 had a major failure after two years in service.  Some welds failed.  They took care of it no questions asked even though it could have been considered out of warranty and I never did the warranty agreement/registration form (I had it for years before I installed and commissioned it).  I always appreciated that, but to hear how they just shut their doors with no notice or warning to their employees, thats BS, screw them.