Author Topic: Home made gas alternator/generator battery charger  (Read 6805 times)

mbk

Home made gas alternator/generator battery charger
« on: March 16, 2014, 02:09:10 PM »
   Hi All,

I'm building a gas b&s 6.5 hp lawn mower engine with a car alternator on it to charge my 12 volt battery bank,but I've got a question I'm not sure if this will work or not but I want to make another one with a 12 hp b&s to charge my 24 volt battery bank by useing two 12 volt alternators with the alternators hooked up like you would hook two 12 volt batteries pos to neg to get 24 volts on a 24 volt bank.If i hooked the two alternators up ones hot to the others ground and get 24 volts or is that even possible to do or would i need to find a 24 volt alternator or make a pm generator for it.Was just wondering if anyone has tryed this with two alternators. Thanks for any feed back.
                                                                                                    mbk

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
Re: Home made gas alternator/generator battery charger
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 03:39:22 PM »
get a 24v alt, it can be don but will be plaqued with problems. not worth the head ach imo.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

joestue

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 03:56:35 PM »
run a regular 12v alternator at sufficient rpms to get 24 volts out of it. You can get a replacement 24v regulator or build your own to do that.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

madlabs

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 05:04:56 PM »
Depends somewhat on your fundage. Me, I'd get a Leece-Neville 24V alt. Costs around 200 bucks or so. Mind you, I'm a well established Hundredaire... ;-)

I have a LN-555 alt that I used to charge my 12V bank for years. I ran the crap outta that thing, pulling max amps for hours at a time. Still nothing wrong with the alt, it outlasted the Honda motor powering it.

I'm going to 48V, so I'm looking for a way to do that.

joestue

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 10:07:36 PM »
Depends somewhat on your fundage. Me, I'd get a Leece-Neville 24V alt. Costs around 200 bucks or so. Mind you, I'm a well established Hundredaire... ;-)

I have a LN-555 alt that I used to charge my 12V bank for years. I ran the crap outta that thing, pulling max amps for hours at a time. Still nothing wrong with the alt, it outlasted the Honda motor powering it.

I'm going to 48V, so I'm looking for a way to do that.

run a treadmill motor into a buck converter.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 04:03:43 AM »
GE ECM motor will easily hit 100+ volts at 1300 rpm(max from my cordless drill). Lit 120 watts worth of incandescent light bulbs too.

mbk

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »
  ok thank you for all your input i'll see what ive got here around the house and then go to the junk scrap yards we have a few close by and see what they have an use on of yall's ideas they are all good ideas to get what i'm trying to do thank you again.
                                                                                    mbk

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 01:14:37 PM »
For battery charging most folks remove the alternator regulator and use a variable resistor for the field.

If you do this a 12v alternator will charge 24v with only a small increase in speed. I suspect most would manage 48v but watch the diodes and field current if you attempt 48v.

You will get the same current at 24v so you effectively double the output power for the same heating.

Flux

mbk

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 01:51:52 PM »
ok thanks flux that sounds good because i have alot of different kind of alternators on hand already so i wont have to buy much of anything to get this working .
                                                                                         mbk