Homebrewed Electricity > Hydro

New project

(1/7) > >>

Blueskies:
Hi everyone. I'm new here and thought I should share some photos of my project. I'll try and upload them before I write too much.

Blueskies:
I've been researching the project for a couple of years now and finally bit the bullet and ordered a couple of 4.5 kw turbines designed to operate over a 2.7m head. We get most of our flow in winter so I figure I'll shut one down over summer.

I am doing all the work myself to try and keep costs down. My wife is a little upset that I bought the digger but I figure I can sell it when I'm done and it is great to not be renting and have it on site permanently.

The turbines have arrived but unfortunately I am still many months away from finishing the penstock. Especially as I had to stop construction for a few months over winter. It would have been too much of a fight with constant flooding and deep mud.

I haven't got a final plan yet as to how I will connect to the house but I don't plan on selling to the grid. I think the output will pretty closely match our consumption (running two houses). Originally I was planning on just running heating elements off it. We have an electric boiler to heat the house which can take the entire load itself, 2 large hot water cylinders, several electric radiators oven stove etc. But now I'm thinking it would be nice to run everything off it and use the grid as a top up if and when necessary. A bit more research is required.

If you have any questions, comments or especially suggestions please go ahead.

Cheers

hiker:
welcome aboard.......
looks like the start of a great project..best of luck..

thirteen:
It sure looks like a fun project. Best of luck with it. 13

sean_ork:
no man should ever feel guilty for buying a digger

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version