Remote Living > Lighting

What are your thoughts on CLF bulbs?

(1/6) > >>

MIgardener:

Incandesants use too much power, and LEDs cost too much.

But I hate CLFs. They take foever to warm up. Plus, I really don't like the idea of having a ton of chemicals in a glass tube hanging from my ceiling.  :(

john8750:
I don't like them. The equivalent wattage ratings are for test lab conditions, and not very practical. I have installed thousands of them and a certain percentage are bad within 48 hours. The cost is very high yet. LED fluorescent's are great, low current, very bright, but cost way to much. And who knows what they will do to our eye strain in a few years.
Just my thoughts.

John Smith 

Frank S:
In my furniture van that I am making into a small machine shop there were 5 60 watt incandescent bulbs with reflectors mounted on the 10 ft 6 in ceiling  they gave adequate lighting for most things  that the van was used for before. But they had too much power drain since I run off of an inverter now.
 I replaced them with 5 100 watt rated CFLs  now the lighting is horrible
 LEDs make no sense if powered by 120v.
 Eventually I will install  12v lighting using LEDs   

Mary B:
Seeing 60 watt equivalent LEDS down to $8 each now, factor in lifespan...

Frank S:

--- Quote from: MaryAlana on March 30, 2014, 01:25:45 AM ---Seeing 60 watt equivalent LEDS down to $8 each now, factor in lifespan...

--- End quote ---

that's not a bad price actually considering  even the very best incandescent bulbs might last a year @ best
 several years back I used to buy 240v 100w incandesents and use them on 120v ac  the heavier filaments would last 4 times as long as a comparable quality 120v bulb even   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version