Author Topic: new turbine flying  (Read 1699 times)

tailwind

new turbine flying
« on: April 04, 2014, 09:36:35 PM »
I just wanted to announce a new wind thing I built flying. It's a Homebrew single rotor 12 magnet 24V with a 8ft prop. It's actually been running for about 3 weeks now and except for burthing pains has been running excellent. Today the anemometer showed 15-18 MPH and Windynation meter indicated 10-12 Amps. I'm charging into a bank of 10 old RV batteries(most of them bad) but only use the output to light Old Glory on the 30 ft tower. I'd send a picture but it took about as long to learn how to send this message as it took to build my wind thing.(can't spell turbeen) Tried to start a new paragraph but that didn't work. Can anyone advise me  of a easy way to install a tachometer, perhaps sensing a phase? Also need computer lessons.Tailwind

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: new turbine flying
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 11:45:38 AM »
Congrats!! On the turbeen  ;).
Did those birthing pains come with the normal "Put the mill up and no wind for days" scenario?
Pic post issues "that's what the Mods and long time posters are here for.
Lower right corner of most posts , there's a report to moderator. Hit that and let us know what issues you are having.
A new paragraph : When you hit send , you only have about 1 hour before any editing is allowed, you can then merely reply to your own posts.
There's usually a modify button at the top of your post and again on the lower right there's an ICON that if you hover over it with your mouse pointer it should pop up as edit. This works for ALL versions of Windows including browsers, Most flavors of Linux and their browsers. I don't work with MAC much so can comment on it.
There's of course a limit of pic size to make them easier for dialup people and viewing as well.
Over in the FAQs there's a tutorial on how to post pic as there is a bit of doing to post them, BUT if you let the Mods know they'll help post those as well.
Cheers
Bruce S

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

kitestrings

Re: new turbine flying
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 09:15:02 PM »
Tailwind,
Congrats on the new turbine.  We use one of the AC phase lead to translate the frequency to a voltage signal for monitoring rpm.  It works very well and doesn't require any special wiring, shielding or sensors.  There are several circuits here.  Comanda has one I know.  Brian Smith also has one.  If you search the topic here you can find them.

Do post pics when you can.  I found navigating here frustrating at first, but it gets easier.

For photos I don't use the "insert image" button, I simply click "Attachments and other options" (below when you are typing a reply). Browse to where your photo is located (best to crop, compress or resize first), then select "Inline expandable expandable thumbnail"

Others here can give you better tips on computer questions.

Good luck, ~kitestrings