Author Topic: Rutland 503 / 504  (Read 1829 times)

CBabcock

Rutland 503 / 504
« on: April 10, 2014, 01:21:52 AM »
Hey guys,

I have a beta Rutland 504 turbine who's bearings had failed and the rotor has crashed into the stator.  The stator is chewed up pretty badly.  Does anyone have any experience with this machine or have any info on the stator windings?  I have emailed Rutland in search of a replacement stator to purchase, but no dice.  I'd love to get this little genny flying again if possible.  Worst case, I'll have to kick the wife out of the house and sacrifice our range oven to melt down the old stator to come up with a winding config.  ;D

Thanks
Corey

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Rutland 503 / 504
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 03:10:45 AM »
From what I can remember it won't be an easy task. The stator is not very thick and runs with little clearance between the magnets, it will need a fairly precise mould to make a replacement.

The one I took to bits ( long ago) was single phase so the winding will be simple and there is not much room in there for any sensible size wire. You can check the magnet with a screwdriver or something, my suspicion is that it is 8 pole so knowing the magnet poles will help you sort the number of coils.

With care you should be able to find one intact coil with a bit of excavating and get turns and wire diameter.

The one I took to bits turned out not to be faulty, it was used in an urban environment and never saw enough wind to reach cut in, it looks to be reasonably fast at cut in but I never measured anything. At a guess I would think cut in was over 400 rpm, if you could measure that from a working machine you would be well on the way to designing the coils even if you can't measure anything from the original stator.

I don't think you can melt the original stator but it may soften a bit to aid excavation.

Flux

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
Re: Rutland 503 / 504
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 04:13:00 AM »
Hi,
I think you'll find Marlecs official "How to disassemble a Rutland 503 / 504 Windcharger to replace bearings or turbine blade" useful, here:
http://youtu.be/TWyeFNCwDCc

Not an easy task at all to make that stator, they should supply one if they are good manufacturers..
Cut-in is around 600 rpm.

Good luck.