Author Topic: solar panels configeration  (Read 3843 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
solar panels configeration
« on: June 17, 2014, 05:02:13 PM »
I am finally starting to put my solar panels together 2 poles 4 panels per pole, each panel is 240 w 24 v x 4 = 96 v   and 1 pole  panel setup of 3 panels 240 w 24 v x3 = 72 v They will produce higher voltage I have an  Outback 60 I am using know, but an Outback 80 will handle the voltage and I need the voltage for the drop I'll get in wire distance. My system is 24 volt.

I have to go 500 ft to get to my battery bank system 24 v. 1400 ah bank. I'll get a Outback 80 controler. The one pole with 3 panels will be pointed West more than the other 2. I have a mountain in the way except for 1 1/2 hrs in the afternoon. So I am thinking to put these 3 panels more in that direction. I will be able to turn this pole to directly to the East in the winter months when I only get 2 hrs of sunlight for 35 days. no 0 size copper wire going to battery bank.
 Will the lower voltage panels cause a problem with the other ones. Should i get some diodes and put in their line for more of a back feed protection from the larger panels? I am concerned about getting the right breakers in a collector box for a miss match on my different panel set ups. 
I have not bought the 8  panels yet. I do have the 3 panels setup that I am using now.
I would like a little help to go in the right direction.  13
MntMnROY 13

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
Re: solar panels configeration
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 10:32:21 PM »
I am probably wrong but it is my understanding that the lowest voltage string sets the upper voltage limits when combined with higher voltage strings
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

phil b

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 02:42:42 AM »
I have most of my panels facing south. There are 6 panels facing due west on that same controller. The southern panels are identical and have diodes. The western panels' VOC's are a few volts less and have diodes also. Diodes are cheap insurance to me.

Most companies that make controllers also have string calculators that help size the panels to the controllers. I can't find one on Outback's site right now, but I do remember seeing one. If your panels are identical, you should be able to buy a controller that will take higher than 96 volts. Midnite makes one that goes the 250 VDC.
Phil

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 05:25:24 PM »
Unless that string of 3 will be on their own charge controller you will be wasting available power in the rest in a parallel connection. You will drop the voltage of the other 2 strings to 72 volts limiting their output. At least that is the way I was told it worked.

thirteen

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 05:58:32 PM »
I'll just buy another panel and make it a 4 panel setup and use one controler. My concern is the wiring from the panels to the collection box and panel to panel (24v ea) . A couple of diodes is cheap insurance.  I tried to get a road up to the panel area but it looks like it will be a carry piece by piece up the mountain. We ran into mother earth.  A helicopter is starting to sound like a good idea. or a pull up sled. $$ either way.  13
MntMnROY 13

Frank S

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
Does anyone near you have a team they could harness to a sled
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

thirteen

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 11:00:27 AM »
Good idea but the mountain is to steep for a team. I thinking of making a single walking path there are a few deer trails near the point I am trying to put my panels on.
I was thinking more of a sled pulled up the side of the mountain side hooked to a cable pulled by a pickup. The panels will be the bulkiest to get up the mountain side. (60 in x  40 in x 1 1/2in) I cannot come down from the top to many small cliffs. You can come down but to go up is hard. It is in a bad spot but good for the solar. I  been hoping to get a 4wlr trail up there but the rocky areas would have to be jack hammered to make a small road.
I may end up taking one piece at a time up. It would do my old body good to get the activity. I've got two months to figure something out. I need to go walk the mountain agian and see if there is another way. It may be a pick and shovel enjoyment project.
 The heaviest things will be the 2 spools of 525 ftea. of wire and maybe the poles.  13
MntMnROY 13

Frank S

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 12:43:09 PM »
What seems like a 100 years ago now, I worked for a company that manufactured tension stringing equipment all equipment had to be disassembled to the smallest possible components then transported to the tops of many mountains in Central & South America Once in Brazil it looked like we were building the pyramids using 100s of locals to help winch & haul items up the slopes 

thirteen

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 04:36:59 PM »
There is a prison close by maybe I could get free help for a day. 20 men and each two trips in pairs and it would be done. It would take 20 officers to guard them in this country. A fun thought. 600 ft of cable is looking better and better. Maybe I should work for the IRS and I could get a bonus and still owe money to the place I work for. The bonus would pay for someone else to put the panels in place. b 13
MntMnROY 13

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 04:44:12 PM »
hot air balloon on a cable system to pull it up? Your cable system would give you a way to get maintenance parts up the mountain long term.

thirteen

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 10:39:56 AM »
My neighbor is going to build me an access road so i can develope my spring water and it will get me within 250 ft. I'll see what that does for me if he can do it. I went over the land again and there is no easy way unless I could get my neighbor to let me cross his property but that would require digging up some of his hillside that he looks at when they are here. I'm sure that is a no way situation. I tried last year twice to walk cross the mountain side in the snow and I could not do it in the 4 ft of snow that is up there in the winter. It all may boil down to a jack hammer and several days of rock breaking. I probably just a getting spoiled by using a 4 wheeler to much. A permanent cable setup sound like it maybe part o my answer. 13
MntMnROY 13

Frank S

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 10:55:03 PM »
Who knows you may be the only one to have your very own personal ski lift in the future LOL

thirteen

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 12:26:46 PM »
Gondola rides $10.oo. Maybe one of those chairs that are used to go up and down the stairs. I'll have add more panels for the power it would take to run one. Good for a chuckle.  During the winter there is a nice sled ride down the road for about 2 miles not to fast but fun to do. It is the walk back that is a killer. I have an old goat barn I could turn it into a resort and charge $300 per day.

Just another challenge to overcome when your off grid back in the woods semi isolated. As a question are any animals attracted to solar panels other than birds.   I do not know if they give off a sound we cannot hear as humans? We have several bear around here and elk and deer.  13
MntMnROY 13

Frank S

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 12:36:26 PM »
if you can mount them high enough so an Elk can not use them as a rub or a bear to scratch they should be Ok. the thing with animals is, they are curious reflective objects often attract them.
 I should think the only way panels could make any high frequency or other sound would be if there happened to be a loose connection somewhere.