Author Topic: Passive solar tracking  (Read 3260 times)

Yianie123.

Passive solar tracking
« on: June 19, 2014, 10:15:41 PM »
I would like to build a passive solar tracker for my solar panels.  Has anyone built one and would like to share there experiences?

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
Re: Passive solar tracking
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 10:22:09 PM »
Look at zomeworks.com  for some ideas.
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~

Yianie123.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 02:53:27 PM »
Thank you.  This is were the idea had come from.  It seems that there has to be a way of building something similar at home.  It uses refrigeration gas and it needs to be well design to work.  I love the idea of its simplistic design and operation, but for the newbie like me, even with a mechanical engineering degree, there are too many variables that will make it a struggle t get right.  Thank you again.

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 01:18:56 AM »
I've though of using propane.  Much cheaper than (other) liquid refrigerants.  Liquid at reasonable pressure.  Suitable containers and plumbing are easy to come by.

Site it far from the house, though.  You'd need several pounds of it, so a leak would make a BIG flame and possibly a substantial explosion.  B-b

Now that I think of it, carbon dioxide ought to do the job, also.  A leak would mostly ice up the equipment.

Or just spring a few hundred for a refrigerant charge.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 06:41:32 PM »
Propane is best option has good thermal expansion rates. leak would just result in non operating unit with a layer of frost for a short while, you need a spark to follow for any flamage. As said simply place away from any ignition source where there is good air flow to disperse the gas.

CO2 at over 1800psi is a very bad idea as you end up with shrapnel if not don perfectly.

R134a atm isn't what I'd call cheap but like wise won't cost you a left kidney.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!