Author Topic: Solar panel current droops with time  (Read 2657 times)

bluene

Solar panel current droops with time
« on: June 21, 2014, 03:06:36 PM »
Hello,
I would like to get your thoughts on a problem I have with my Kyocera 50 watt panel that I bought in 1999.  I used it on my RV for years with no problem, and it has been hanging in the garage for 5 years.  I thought I would start to use it to charge all my electronic devices, so I put it out in the sun and connected it to a deep cycle battery.  It was charging 2 amps for a while, then I noticed that the current was varying a tenth of an amp or 2 and at the same time kept getting less.  After a half hour it was down to less than a tenth of an amp even though the battery voltage was still about the same at 13 volts.  Sounds like a typical case of a loose connection like I read about in these forums, right?  Well, yes except for what happened next:  I disconnected the panel from the battery and measured the open circuit voltage, which looked right at about 18 volts.  Then I measured the short circuit amps, which looked about right at 3 amps.  Then I connected the panel back onto the battery and it was back to charging 2 amps again and the cycle began over again.  In another half hour the current was back to 0.1 amp.  And I can keep doing this: short the panel for a second and the panel works for half an hour.  This is in the bright sun at midday with about 80 degree air temperature.  I have checked the setup and connections a dozen times and am confident that it is in the panel – but where, and can it be fixed?  It sounds to me like a problem in the semiconductors themselves.  What do you think?  There is no controller in the circuit and no bypass diode.

By the way, I am an electrical engineer from way back, and I have a lot of troubleshooting under my belt == but this has me baffled.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Solar panel current droops with time
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 04:02:29 PM »
Battery is getting close to charge and is in absorb stage, that takes awhile.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 04:15:19 PM »
Yes, does seem like the panel. Just check with another battery as agm batteries can also show this problem.

If you confirm it is the panel I doubt that it can be fixed.

Flux

mab

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 04:27:43 PM »
0.1A into a battery at 13v - yep sounds like the panel to me too. If you haven't already you could pop the lid off the conn box on the back of the panel and see if it's something in there, but I've no idea about fixing a bad connection in the panel itself.

dave ames

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 04:33:43 PM »
  I disconnected the panel from the battery and measured the open circuit voltage, which looked right at about 18 volts.

18 volts sounds a bit low...we would expect 21-22 VOC?

In the early years Kyocera and others were experimenting with "self regulating" modules for battery charging...Kyocera's used 33 cells in their selfie. can you count the cells? 33 or 36?

It may not have shown itself as much with a bigger bank like an RV.

Kind regards, dave

madlabs

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 06:24:19 PM »
I had a panel once that wasn't putting out and it did turn out to be a poor internal connection. I did manage to dig it out of the back and solder it and it did work for years after and still works as far as I know. I started from the connection box and traced the ribbon back and my fault was after all the cells were connected together.

Good luck! I know I just got real lucky with mine. Odds are yours is a dead one.

JOnathan

bluene

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »
WOW!  Thank y'all for the overwhelming response.  Today is the first sun we have seen in a while, so I'm experimenting again.  I removed the junction box and am now connected to the little strips I dug out of the vinyl backing.  I tried another battery with similar results.  The panel does have 36 cells, so maybe my 18 volt open circuit voltage is a clue.   There was a new development today though.  For the fist time I had zero open circuit voltage for a few minutes.  I may try JOnathon's trick and do some more carving.  Anyhow I think it is clear that the panel is the culprit.  It may have turned into a doorstop!  Thanks again.