Author Topic: Magnet grade importance  (Read 2773 times)

Kingsley14

Magnet grade importance
« on: July 09, 2014, 11:40:01 AM »
Hello, I am in the process of building the 10' diameter turbine and was curious how important the permanent magnet grade is. I am trying to follow this design to a T and would prefer to purchase the N35 magnets but on eBay the lowest grade of magnets I can find are N50 in the specified dimensions required. I am aware that I could find N35 else-ware easily but if its beneficial to have more power and will create more electricity without any added dangers is N50 OK?  I just do not want it to cause any malfunctions with the added power.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Magnet grade importance
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 12:57:56 PM »
Yes N50 will be fine but if you follow the design exactly, make sure you can increase the air gap between magnet rotors as you will most likely find things inclined to run stalled.

If you want to make changes to use the better material then you can wind with less turns of thicker wire and have less stator heating. With improved manufacturing for neo you may find that the lower grades are less easy to find as the N50 cost comes down.

Flux

Kingsley14

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 02:05:22 PM »
Thanks for your input Flux, I appreciate it. The magnets I found on eBay of N50 are $180 for 20 in the specified size. I think that is a pretty good deal, though I will still need to get four more. Do you have any links to good deals from reputable sellers of the N35 because I would like to keep everything to plan as best as I can. I will be running a 48VDC system so I have thinner #17AWG wire already.

Harold in CR

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:00:52 PM »

Don't know what magnet sizes/shapes you are looking for. Might try K&J Magnets. KJmagnetics.com.

I buy specialty magnets from them that others do not have, AND, they are honest people about specs.

richp0169

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 12:49:34 PM »
magets4less.com

Some have had issues with this company.  Never had a problem myself. 

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 04:49:49 PM »
I had 2 good orders with magnets4less then they sat on an order for 6 months until I finally got paypal to cancel it.