Author Topic: 300W to 1000W, 3 phase, 208+ volt: This type of windmill out there?  (Read 3456 times)

Patrick Lemaire

Im wondering if there are such designs out there.  Windmill is far from battery bank.  Layout design would also include step down 3 phase transformer and rectifier to charge the battery bank.  Problem is line voltage lost to excessive with low DC voltage systems.  Could possibly build it from scratch if necessary...
Thanks.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: 300W to 1000W, 3 phase, 208+ volt: This type of windmill out there?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:10:47 PM »
Could be done with an axial flux machine, 5 amps at 200 volts output means smaller wire so more windings per coil to reach the needed voltage. I will let the experts wander in and suggest the rest. Spreadsheet I have suggests 207 turns wired in star with a 2x1x.5 inch N42 neo magnet... might need bigger magnets to get the number of windings down. with 3x1.5x.5 N42 neos I get 92 turns... might be a starting point. More turns = higher winding resistance and that affects things. Getting into expert territory there.

joestue

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 12:21:50 AM »
voltage is of no concern, it is more difficult to get high fill factor/copper density with fine wire, but that's subject to details. also, fine wire will allow you to more easily press together a two layer winding, or a single layer mush winding, which should get you about 50% more copper in the system than the standard 9/12 arrangment.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 03:25:57 AM »
The only thing to watch is the insulation, There is little to worry about with low voltages but by the time you get up to 200v you could see approaching a kV if you loose load in a good wind.

I suggest you use phase barriers and watch all the interconnecting leads. If it is an open design such as an axial then make absolutely sure your potting is first class,

The high voltage otherwise should be no problem. Just choose your transformers to have plenty of turns per volt, otherwise you may have to split the transformer star point for easy start up. From the transformer point of view it may pay to use a higher pole count in the alternator to run at higher frequency.

Flux

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 09:13:20 PM »
Perhaps a high-voltage AC "transmission" line might be practical.  Starting with the low-voltage AC from the turbine, step up to a higher voltage for the long distance wire, then step down again before rectifying.  It's been discussed before on the forum here, but I don't have details handy about any that were successfully tried.  I remember a hydro installation that did this.  Less variation in speed in hydro turbines (seasonal changes, not minute by minute).  Low frequencies are a problem for generators with low pole counts turning slowly.  If the generator has a high number of poles (eg. 32 or more) and was of a size that cut-in happens around 40-50 Hz, then ordinary transformers could be used.  The step up-step-down process involves losses, so they would have to be acceptable compared to the heavy copper wire costs for the long distance run.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

cardamon

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 10:05:05 PM »
Im a little  late to this one but would like to comment anyway.  Not sure if you are concerned mostly with the specifics of making the turbine or just the overall idea, but if the latter I will say that I have a SWWP whisper 200 high voltage that generates ~240-300 three phase, then a 1300 foot wire run, then a transformer than a bridge rectifier.  It really works very well.  Despite all the doom and gloom that is mentioned about using transformers, it has no problem starting and gives me tons of energy.  The wire size is #10 (because I had it) but  even #14 would have been fine.  Soon I think I will rewire it for 120V nominal operation and run it into a classic for the fun of it.

Yianie123.

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 01:21:12 PM »
There is a company that will help you.  I went to there site and was taught varies winding methods and building techniques.  Look up mikeswindmillshop.com.