Author Topic: 17 foot diameter information clarification.  (Read 3491 times)

wllshaw

17 foot diameter information clarification.
« on: July 28, 2014, 08:20:00 AM »
I was reading the Homebrew Wind Power book for the umteenth time and I noticed a slight discrepancy between the book and the 17 foot turbine info on the website.  On Page 269 the book says the spindle housing is a 5 inch diameter pipe.  That would be part number 3.  It also says on page 270 that the rear spindle support has a 5 inch outside diameter to fit inside the 5 inch pipe.   I understand all this, but when I go to the otherpower website and look at the 17' diameter turbine the spindle housing is listed as a 5 inch pipe and the rear spindle support gives a dimension of 6 inches.  Is this a typo or did something get changed.  I ask that because on the website the pipe that connects the yaw bearing to the spindle housing is listed as 4 inch.  In the pictures the relationship between  the spindle housing to the 4 inch pipe that connects it looks bigger than that.  Have you gone to a 6 inch pipe for the spindle housing?  Also is the yaw bearing still 4 inch pipe?
     I realize I am asking a nit picking question here.  I have built Hugh's 8 foot turbine and I am starting to assemble parts for the 17 foot.  I'd like to do this correctly the first time and I just wanted some clarification if possible.  I have also attended one of the Wind work shops put on by Dan and Dan.  You guys are great!  Thanks for any info.

Will

Smithson

Re: 17 foot diameter information clarification.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:13:49 AM »
Will:  My understanding of the rear spindle support is that the 6 inches refers to to it's length.  This way when it fits in the spindle housing (and welded) and then welded to the yaw this will end up with the critical 8 and 1/2 inch offset.  I think it can best be understood by the pictures at the bottom of the 17 foot Otherpower page.  As long as you have the 8 1/2 offset with heavy stock it should be okay.  Arch

wllshaw

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 06:59:22 AM »
I don't think we are talking about the same part.  Go to the otherpower website.  Click on wind and then the 17 foot turbine.  Scroll down past the picture of the parts and then compare part number 3 to part number 9.  These two parts have to fit together, but the  measurements are off.  What I want to know is which part has the right measurements.  I understand about the 8.5 inch offset.  In the book it said that the offset should be 1/12 of the blade length.  I was planning on  using some 3 inch shd 40 pipe here.  I could go to 4 which would probably be better.
     Thanks for your help.
Will

Smithson

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 06:43:37 PM »
You are right.  The dimensions are all over the place.  The rear spindle support is 5.5 inches one place and 6 inches elsewhere.  The diameter of the spindle support and rear spindle support also varies.  The 17 footer had some trouble.  If this is the one I'm thinking of originally they were built with a single strand of magnet wire for the coils.  This caused resistance and heat in the stator.  They might have beefed them up with the larger dimensions in steel.  I see they have two in hand 14awg wire for the stator now.

You could send an email to the otherpower site.  But in reality these machines are a clone of those at Scoraig Wind.   The 17 foot machine here pretty we'll matchs the 14 foot machine at Scoraig in his wind Recipe book.  If you cannot get an answer why not go with the dimensions at Scoraig?   Arch

wllshaw

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 08:39:07 PM »
Thanks Arch, I'll look into it.

Will