Author Topic: multiple solar panels in serise  (Read 2417 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
multiple solar panels in serise
« on: August 16, 2014, 01:34:17 PM »
I looked but did not find information on putting  3 sets of panels 4ea - 24v - 240w panels in serise to get a larger voltage to the combiner box  to go down 525 feet to my controler and battery bank system which is 24v.  My concern is going from panel to panel will they handle the voltage and amps. Because of the configuration they will not all be operating all together at one time for more than 2 hrs at a time. I have not gotten all of the panels yet. I have 3 on hand and are using therm now. I will get 9 more in September.
They will all go into one combiner box then down the hill to the power house. I will lose voltage because of the distance. no 1 wire, 0 ? I'll have a  bank of 1000 ah some( 6 v some some 12 volt) batteries at this time. Miss matched but free.  Next year there will be a new bank bought.  Just to much money this year.
The controler will be an Outback Flex max 80 so it will handle the bigger voltage (est 130v+ ) I have an Outback Flex max 60 now MPPT and using a Magnum Energy Inverter/charger RD3924. One of my worries is will the proper voltage be there at the controler? Will the panels handle the load from panel to panel?  So any suggestions?  13
MntMnROY 13

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: multiple solar panels in serise
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 06:45:26 PM »
I run 4 panels in series as do many others. My system is using 12 volt panels(18 volt nominal) and currently sitting at 76 volts under partial shading as the sun goes down. Typically it sits around 86 volts. The panels have no trouble handling it if they are UL rated they should be good for 600 volts at minimum.  Use an MPPT controller at the batteries to drop the voltage back down to 24 volts in my case.

thirteen

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 12:38:55 AM »
My distance is the biggest problem I think I will also put a disconnect in line just before It crosses the road around 450 ft. It will go under the road and over a creek. I put the water line and the conduet in a culvert inside a 4 in PVC pipe centered and insualted to cross the creek and road. Thanks  !3
MntMnROY 13

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 01:35:26 PM »
One nice thing about MPPT controllers is that they typically find the maximum power point load for the combined system of the panels and the wiring from the panels to the controller.  They don't remove wiring losses, but they get the most you can out of what you have.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 02:00:58 PM »
Am I right in reading this as though you have 3 groups of 4 panels in series and all three groups are feeding in parallel to a common line . Also you have groups not seeing the sun at the same time.

If so it should work, it won't work if sun is not on all series panel at one time.

With the drastic shading between groups, make sure the series blocking diodes are capable of blocking the voltage of the 4 panel strings . If not, include a good high voltage blocking diode in each string.

Flux

thirteen

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 03:13:53 PM »
Fkux Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the info. I'll order a couple of high voltage diodes when I order my panels if they have them on hand.

MntMnROY 13