Author Topic: New Blades  (Read 6855 times)

Boondocker

New Blades
« on: September 04, 2014, 09:48:38 AM »
The first set of blades made for this wind turbine were carved with a S822 airfoil.

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,147743.msg1024937.html#msg1024937

Using the program QBlade performed some comparisons of different blades.  The black line is a blade using a hybrid air foil using NACA 4415 & GOE 222.  This is really a fun program to look at different foils and render a blade.

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: New Blades
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 11:19:36 AM »
nice blades and gen...........
WILD in ALASKA

kitestrings

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 09:02:59 PM »
So (in the second photo) is that one of the new blades on the left, and one of the original on the right?  The left one appears a bit longer.  Is this to get more power/better match to the alt?

Regards, ~ks

Boondocker

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:47:29 PM »
KS,

The blade is indeed larger, rotor diameter is now 13.25'.    With these new blades, power has increased.  Seeing 200 watts produced at 11 mph (approximate), and 300 watts with a 12 mph (approx).

Matching the blades to the alternator is easily accomplished programming the Midnite Classic Charge.

Boondocker

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 07:56:33 AM »
Yesterday afternoon had some nice winds to test out the new blades.   18 mph wind, gusting at 35mph.
The below photo was taken during a gust.

gww

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 09:54:32 AM »
Nice blades.
I am currently making a nine foot blade set to repalce an eight foot set in the hopes of increased production.  I have made 3 eight foot sets and they took two days each.  I only have one blade compleeted and already have two days in it.  I hope they do as well for me as you sound like yours are doing for you.  Mine are hugh piggott design. 
cheers
gww

Boondocker

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 08:22:32 AM »
On my first turbine, I made a set of Hugh's blade.  They worked very well.

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,129026.0/nowap.html

Here is an power curve on the new blades.

gww

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 11:08:57 AM »
Show off.  Thats just my envy speaking. The blades in the link you posted looked very good as well. 
Thanks for sharing.
gww

BruceDownunder

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 05:45:11 PM »

A good read, thanks .

That wind measuring bracket ..

I', m thinking of installing my small self(battery/small solar cell) powered unit up there,60,odd feet.

Question is, how about the vibration problem,  does your's cope with it OK?

Thanks

Bruce

Boondocker

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 09:07:22 PM »
Bruce,

Vibration has not been an issue on the tower.  Static balance the blades while on the alternator hub.   

The new blades where installed in the field on a breezy day and could only do a rough job of balancing.  When getting them in the air there was some noticeable rocking.  Once the turbine was balanced it sat smooth on the tower.

There is some alternator growling noise that resonates down the tower.    The growling occurs when the alternator is drawing a load and can be heard standing right next to the tower

gww

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 10:14:54 PM »
I Can't really see wobble when looking at my turbines. I can however see the guy wires shaking pretty hard when they are close to or are making power.  I can't see the turbines while in the garage but can watch the guy wires through a window and pretty much know when to check the doc watson to see how I am doing.  I just balance my blades on a test stand after full turbine assembly.  How is a static balance done? 

Thanks
gww

Boondocker

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 10:16:04 PM »

kitestrings

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 10:25:26 PM »
There is some alternator growling noise that resonates down the tower.    The growling occurs when the alternator is drawing a load

Mine does the same Boond.  I think it may be amplified by the tube in my case, perhaps passing a resonate mechanical frequency.  It seems to "sing" at cut-in, but then subside as the pace increases.

This may be of interest (I'd book-marked it = back when):
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,144842.msg980835.html#msg980835

Sounds like your getting good results with the new blades.  Matching is easier with the Classic, but it can't make convert power above what's available fro the prop, and there's no substitute for increased wind-swept area if you need more.

Best, ~ks

kitestrings

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 10:31:13 PM »
I'd missed the video before my post.  Very nice.  It looks pretty smooth, stable.

It may be the angle of the camera, and light on the surfaces, but is there a little twist of the vane between the upper and lower tail-boom supports?

Boondocker

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 10:35:51 PM »
The humming noise is not loud at all and is not a nuisance to me.

Surface pump and sprinkler are much louder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIF--5QN4ko

Boondocker

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 10:38:13 PM »
It is the camera angle.

Boondocker

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 07:27:08 AM »
GWW,

The balancing technique I use is to added weight by attaching a piece of steel flat stock to the blade hub bolts.  Place the weights accordingly so the prop remains stationary (static) after rotating the prop to any position.  This takes some patience and is done by trial and error.

Next, I'll fine tune the balance by sliding a piece of wire along the length of a blade positioned horizontally.   Note the distance the wire is from the tip when the blade starts to fall.  Adjust the weights so the distance between the wire and blade tip are the same on all three blades.

Boondocker

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 08:27:43 AM »
Kitestring,

Thanks for the link.   I've come to like hearing that low growling humming “music”.   It's a tell tail power is being harvested.

The Midnite Classic great.    I'm trying to coerce out as much power at low winds, between 8 to 10 mph.   I've found this range is sensitive area.   Below 8 mph (down to 6 mph) there is just a few watts available.  Becoming too greedy at these low breezes, keeps the blades stalled and the turbine doesn't spool-up quickly to catch the puffs.   Above 10 mph, the wind carries so much more energy, the power extraction window opens and becomes more forgiving.

gww

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 11:50:22 AM »
boondocker
Thanks for the explination.  I slice lead and attach with drywall screws between the hubs on the the thick part of the blade.
gww

BruceDownunder

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 05:23:07 PM »

Yes, Growling , .

My F&P Neo conversion used to growl just when it started to produce a certain voltage /Amps.  , and then became silent .  On the slow down ,it came in at the same Voltage/Amperage ,then silent til stop.

I looked at my meters and knew when this happened,  so from then onwards while in the field or where I could hear it ,I knew what it was producing --sort of good.

Bruce

gww

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 09:41:12 PM »
Here is a picture of my 9' blades.

Just finished.

Question;  Does the midnight classic have "tare losses" when the wind is to low to produce power?
Thanks
gww

gww

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 02:38:02 AM »
boondocker
PS  I also planted 15 fruit trees this year.  Nice vidios.
gww

kitestrings

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 04:26:10 PM »
Question;  Does the midnight classic have "tare losses" when the wind is to low to produce power?

Yes, I believe it is 3-4 watts

The later video is clearer.  looks great.

We have a similar piston pump.  It is an old Meyers pump.  I've turned it with a 12V motor, and now a 48V motor.  It just keeps a-going.  This familiar clitty-clacking sound is another I've grown accustomed to, and somehow I like knowing when the pump s running.  Sometimes I can figure out what the kids are up to fairly quickly ;)

~ks

gww

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 07:13:06 PM »
ks
Thank you
gww