Author Topic: Simple little diffuser  (Read 3866 times)

micropv

Simple little diffuser
« on: September 13, 2014, 10:20:11 AM »
Cheap (a little greater than 6 cents each) practice table tennis ball.  The LED is a 10mm with 100ohm resistor consuming somewhere between 5 mAh to 7 mAh from 3.6 v. 

It looks better in the picture above than in real life.   A reflection from my netbook screen shows a better picture

kind of simple ambient lighting that even with a small capacity pack will easily light all night.

micropv

Re: Simple little diffuser
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 02:07:38 PM »
oh yeah, these will fit the bill.  A little piece of 2x4 with a hole in the center, a little hot glue, a little black paint,  a 3mm blue LED, 100 ohm resistor, connected to a 9v battery connector. 3.6v (pack) @ 7 mAh

easy switch to a 4.8v battery pack with 9v connector, and at 4.8v @ 20 mAh. A little more light...

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 01:48:02 PM »
Now take some broken florescent, harvest the phosphorous powder, and coat the inside of the ball with it, put in an ultra bright uv led and see what happens!

put a small convex reflector at the top to reflect the focal point back down and out.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

micropv

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 12:46:30 AM »
Now take some broken florescent, harvest the phosphorous powder, and coat the inside of the ball with it, put in an ultra bright uv led and see what happens!

put a small convex reflector at the top to reflect the focal point back down and out.

Interesting idea, but I am just an amateur (obviously), I think I will leave playing with phosphorus to the professionals.

I have been looking around for even simpler diffusers which can be had for free (items either generally thrown away or headed to the recycling bin) to help make fixtures.  In the pic a sturdy piece of plastic, which of all things was a fruit cup one buys at the store (full of fruit of course) as a snack.

Fun stuff