Author Topic: gizmo, F&P, caps  (Read 4931 times)

gww

gizmo, F&P, caps
« on: September 25, 2014, 10:14:37 AM »
Gizmo
I have read quite a bit of the discussion on "Thebackshed" forum and most is over my head.  I have a smart drive (36 pole?) that I was going to rewire by splitting it by 4 x9 coils.  I was going to put 8 foot hugh piggott blades on it (cause they are the only ones I have ever made).  I was hoping for 48 volt turbine.
Questions;
Is there a way to use caps without a rewire?

With the 4x9 rewire and 8 foot blades what would be the cap values to use?

Should I go a different rout?

I don't mind trying something that might not work but as I don't understand the theroy I would need a starting place that adjusments could be made untill it was got right.

I looked at gordens cap circuit but it wasn't clear to me what was started with prior to the caps and the forum threads where talking a lot about 24 volt systems, mine is 48 volt. 

I relize this post is an effort to a shortcut from actual learning how to do it on my own however I am only interrested in the power to the battery.  I built the piggot turbines cause it had a plan and I didn't have to design my own, I didn't have to draw but could paint buy the number.

I don't mind trying to learn but spend hours on the net trying to learn and at some point just need to do it.

This of course causes mistakes at times that have to be worked through but making mistakes seems to be the only way to get were I am going per my learning curve.

Have you got a starting point that you are willing to share for my 36 pole smartdrive?

I have set on this thing for a couple of years and may for a bit longer but am getting around to getting things going.

5600 watts solar, two turbines, battery, etc, etc... 

I just keep pegging away and do intend to get to the F&P.

Thanks
gww

gizmo

• The Back Shed
Re: gizmo, F&P, caps
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 06:18:23 PM »
Hi gww

Short reply, on my way out soon.

For 48v, a 36Pole 2X6C should work fine, but cut in may be a little high, it depends on your blades. See http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/FPRewire.asp for details. Then add a cap doubler to increase low wind power. At a guess, try 560uF 350V caps back to back. They can be expensive, so price around.

Or you could try a staggered stator, see http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/articles/StaggeredStators.asp. Say a 1X5C and a 1X7C, would give you a earlier cut in, but still good power once the wind picks up. It does mean a extra set of rectifiers though, as you need to rectify the two sides separately.

Yep the cap doubler circuits can be hard to follow, they were drawn by Gordon to use single phase rectifiers, and there are un-necessary connections shown. If you look at this thread of my cap doubler on a OEM windmill, it may make more sense. Basically its just a 3 phase voltage doubler, on a 48v system http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6812&PN=1. The cap doubler on that windmill can pass over 4 amps before the main rectifier reaches cut in speed. Low wind performance is good, and I see over 700 watts in high winds, furling holds it back above that.

Personally I would try the staggered stator first. Its cheaper and easy to undo if you later wanted to try the cap doubler.

Glenn

gww

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 08:21:59 PM »
Ok glenn
Most of your post is very clear. Let me recap to see for sure that I understand.
1.  Best to first try the staggered stator with no caps and see what happens?  8' blades tsr7 ?

2.  On the staggered, two three phase rectifiers (which I have already)?

3.  If I find the output dismal then go to 2x6 use gordens cap doubler with your picture for clarifacation and using the cap values that you mentioned.

4.  8' blades tsr7 or other?

Did I get it correct?
Thank you
Glenn aka gww

PS I have been reading you site stuff all day trying to get a grip and this is much easyer though it is nice to break from the forum and look at projects as I haven't done that in a while.

GoVertical

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 04:11:32 PM »
http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/FPRewire.asp

Hi, the two coil in series configuration says 12 volts at high speed. How many RPM's is considered high speed? I would like to use the F&P with a MPPT but the MAX VOC of the  MPPT is 80 Vdc and the F&P is generating 120 Vdc. 
Learn from the past, live in the present, plan for the future
kilroyOdin is not here ;)
SEMPER FEROX

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 06:38:30 PM »
The staggered stator or cap doubler wont have much affect on max power in good winds. They only help in low winds, and can provide a lot of extra watt hours.

I havn't done any testing on a 36 pole, you on your own. The diagrams are a educated guess only. The info in my previous post should get you going. A TSR of 7 means you wont have any problems reaching cut in speed, and the 36 pole was cog-less from memory, so should start up in light winds, but are you using 8 foot blades, or 8 foot diameter turbine?

Glenn

gww

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 07:18:46 PM »
4' blade for 8' turbine.
thanks
gww

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 08:12:56 PM »
Sounds good. Give it a go.

Glenn

gww

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 12:34:11 PM »
I have placed this thread in my "favorites" folder so when I get around to doing it  I don't have to bug anyone unless something new comes up.
Thanks a bunch
gww

J0hann

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 03:07:56 PM »
A discussion on a 36-pole stator can be found at the following:
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7025&PN=1&TPN=1

gww

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 09:34:08 AM »
I couldn't get the link to work.  It might be my connection. Thanks for the post.
gww

joestue

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 06:52:57 PM »
how many magnet poles are on these machines?
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

gww

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 09:26:25 PM »
I think 36 mag on mine, some are I think 42 pole.
gww