Author Topic: CFL to LED retro fit  (Read 2832 times)

micropv

CFL to LED retro fit
« on: September 27, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »
Replaced bad 4W CFL with 2-5mm LEDs each with a 270 ohm resistor (14ma total).  Original 4.8v pack and a white drinking straw to act as a diffuser. No on/off switch yet, soon.

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: CFL to LED retro fit
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 11:23:28 PM »
nice
WILD in ALASKA

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 01:33:45 AM »
with the leds facing each other you may get better output without the straw...

OperaHouse

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 12:55:19 PM »
This is where those adhesive strip LED would work nice.  I look for old white aluminum umbrella poles this time of year in the garbage.  A couple wraps of strip lights around a 1 1/2 inch aluminum tube makes a nice replacement for light bulbs. Just hot melt glue it to an old CFL base.

tanner0441

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 05:43:49 PM »
Hi

My lighting load used to be 2700 W going to CFLs i reduced it to 700 W I am now reducing it further by going to LED. I have a light in the yard which is 7 W it lights the yard and a parking area, a 10 W flood light on a passive also covers the area round my gate and the back yard. Apart from the main living rooms and kitchen the rest of the house is lit with LED.  At the top of the stairs 1.5 W, bedside lamps 3 W, bedrooms 3 W, bathroom and shower rooms 3 W. I didn't tell anyone and no one even noticed. Aim for a colour temperature around 3000 to 4000 deg K and the colour is not a problem.

I also replaced all the little flourescent strip lights in my camper with LED and the bathroom I used a length of LEDs on a roll, cut them in multiples of three and feed them with 12 V.  £7.50 for 5 meters of the things on a roll.

I am now waiting for suitable LEDs to fit the three branch ceiling fittings in the living rooms and kitchen.

Brian.

micropv

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 01:37:08 PM »
with the leds facing each other you may get better output without the straw...

Directional brightness I would agree, has a neat fluorescent type look to it when it is dark though, and does illuminate a room enough to see to walk around in without tripping over the dog.  Super easy on the rechargeables :)