Author Topic: Equipment recommendation for Grid tie battery backup hydro  (Read 1702 times)

skid

Equipment recommendation for Grid tie battery backup hydro
« on: November 01, 2014, 02:34:34 PM »
I am considering a 7.5kw 50rpm 3 phase 220VAC pm generator for my waterwheel. I would like to back feed the grid, as well as have a battery backup in case of grid failure. An additional bonus would be to have the ability to add solar at a later date. Can anyone recommend a controller and inverter for this use? It must have North American agency approval.

joestue

Re: Equipment recommendation for Grid tie battery backup hydro
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 10:01:19 PM »
A 10 hp 50 rpm generator will be as large as a 360 hp 1800 rpm induction motor. Maybe divide by two for the efficiency and power density scaling according to the 4/3rds power law... yeah, there's ways to make it smaller with nothing but the most expensive electrical steel and a halbach array of neodymium magnets.. but i don't think that will get it anything smaller than the physical equivalent of a 100 hp 4 pole motor.. going to weigh about a ton, half of it at 9$ a pound for copper and you don't want to know what the magnets will cost..

and the efficiency of such a machine would be nearly the same as a gearbox to take that 50 rpm and turn it into 1800, or 1200.

I suggest you try and find the largest commercially available timing belt for a ~500 hp engine, and cast a couple aluminum pulleys as large as practically possible for another 5:1 increase, and then another 5:1 increase with smaller belting.. you could then back feed the grid with a 1200 rpm induction motor.. and such an arrangement can be legal if you can find an inspector who can figure out that induction motor's need reactive power from the grid to maintain excition.
if a 900 rpm induction motor can be found then obviously use that.. less efficiency loss in the belting, but the 900 rpm motors are less efficient than 1200 rpm units.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

skid

Re: Equipment recommendation for Grid tie battery backup hydro
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 12:44:51 PM »
Thanks for your reply Joe, but the 50 rpm generator is the way I will be going, so as to avoid the issues with gearing, etc. Yes, it is heavy at 440kg.

The reason for my original question is to get recommendations for the controller and inverter. Sorry I wasn't clear on that.