Author Topic: 49.9 mega watt solar farm build  (Read 3281 times)

equiluxe

49.9 mega watt solar farm build
« on: November 09, 2014, 11:04:48 AM »
Not sure if any one is interested but just up the road from me a 49.9MW solar farm is being built. I asked the original company for permission to photograph and it was provisionally given but then the project was sold just after start to a Chinese company "Trina solar" who are not keen at all. I decided to take photographs any way from outside the site.
I have started a Facebook page to put them all on. www.facebook.com/westraynhamsolar
I will continue to add photographs as the build proceeds and also continue to try and get permission to photograph things like the inverters and control gear.

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
Re: 49.9 mega watt solar farm build
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 01:02:01 PM »
My biggest grumble, at the present Solar farm installations, is that the ground underneath is not utilised and becomes a sterile area, and therefore totally lost to any form of grazing/agriculture.

If the Installer had just raised the frames by another 1meter, (3 foot) then at least sheep could have grazed and ground maintenance would have been minimal.

Here's my sheep amongst my trackers.
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 01:28:08 PM »
It is quite common for new solar farms in the UK to allow grazing of sheep (and keeping of bees, etc) under the panels.

Goats are a menace though, I hear!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 02:23:44 PM »
Yes, Goats here will eat the shirt of your back.  ;D

But the West Raynham 49.9mW install panel frames look very low, and my sheep would soon have that lot down.
It will be Interesting to see next year how they keep the grass/weeds down underneath those PV panels.

Here is equiluxe's picture of the PV frames being installed. Not much space underneath.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 02:32:27 PM by clockmanFRA »
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

equiluxe

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 03:32:52 AM »
The solar farm is being built on the disused West Raynham airfield. The land is mostly the reclaimed runways (concrete has been removed) and other land which was contaminated by the RAF when they used it as a missile site (Bloodhound anti aircraft) so much rocket fuel was allowed to escape that the water table is contaminated. The solar farm is next to a free range chicken farm that also has sheep which used to be grazing the airfield and as I understand it will be allowed back on after completion.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 11:56:07 AM »
That is strange , that  they wouldn't raise it up high enough to allow usage underneath .
Out about 90 min drive from our home, out where the grape wine fields are, several places have upwards of 80 panels up about 4 meters being the low point.
We were allowed to walk about and admire them, by the owners.

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

equiluxe

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 01:24:38 PM »
One reason for having them so low is there is no requirement for access equipment to install the panels, it can all be done from the ground, with so many thousand of panels that is a big saving of time and money. 

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 01:29:04 PM »
ONe would think that even at that  the lowest part of a panel should have been at least 3 ft from the ground 5 ft if there are any goats in the area
 it would cost more for materials to install as well though.
 OH well even after the install is complete it will probably never be much more than a novelty anyway
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin