Author Topic: How long can a battery just sit?  (Read 4722 times)

OperaHouse

How long can a battery just sit?
« on: November 21, 2014, 01:48:26 PM »
When I closed up the camp for the year I was in a rush and left the battery sitting on the porch.  This is a car battery out of my truck, it was less than a year old with a 3 year replacement guarantee.  It will be 7+ months before I get back to it and no chance of someone going to rescue it.  As long as it doesn't freeze (it was partially discharged) I figured no big deal, they will replace it when it doesn't take a charge.

Needing a battery for my truck I went to this distributor that always has "blems".  They offered me a new battery that had been returned for $59.   They said that after 15 months some get returned and they can't sell them as new.  That seemed like a long time.  I've always checked the date codes and avoided anything over 3 months old when buying a battery.  I bought a cheap used battery,  seems to have plenty of power the last few 8 degree days.

So, I'm worried that the battery that I left will still be too good to turn in even if it is sulfated a little.   Am I going to have to deep cycle it to get it to fail?

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: How long can a battery just sit?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 10:26:28 PM »
It's going to sit, partly discharged, on the porch, over the winter.  I don't know if your cottage is closer to Buffalo or to Anchorage, but I do think the weather and especially the temperature of the next 7 months will determine the state of that battery when you get back.  More so than its calendar age.  If your cottage is closer to Tampa Bay, I wouldn't worry.  If your cottage is somewhere west of the Yukon, you can count on a swollen bucket of lead in April.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 12:36:43 AM »
Do you know one of your neighbors well enough to go get it and store it at their place. or a long snowmobile ride at Christmas for a holiday treat at the cabin. 13
MntMnROY 13

richhagen

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 08:06:12 AM »
Car batteries don't like to sit discharged they have thin spongy plates.  It will also self discharge further over this time which will raise the freezing point of the electrolyte due to chemical changes as well.  I do not have an optimistic view of what you will find in the spring.  Good luck though, Rich
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 06:21:41 PM »
I predict a dead bulged case battery that is scrap...

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 12:40:33 PM »
i belive it will be just fine....just give it a good charge when you can..............
WILD in ALASKA

OperaHouse

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 01:02:30 PM »
hiker.........You may already be a wiener.    It appears the battery has survived in some fashion.  It didn't bulge and was reading 12.2V when I got there.  I'm letting it cycle for a few days till I load test it.  It is at least in good enough shape to turn in under warranty.