Author Topic: Wild AC Turbine Output  (Read 2224 times)

scaseley@eastlink.ca

Wild AC Turbine Output
« on: December 02, 2014, 07:32:22 AM »
Hi, I am new.  I installed my 1600 Watt Missouri Freedom turbine on the weekend.  I have it connected to a 2000 Watt grid inverter.  But so far, the grid inverter has not generated any electricity.  Today, the wind is blowing well - Environment Canada says we are getting 30-50 KMH winds - so it is relatively windy.  The turbine is turning well, but the inverter is not functioning.  I've tested the power at the base of my tower and at the inverter connector (concerned with line drop) - I am getting 15-20 volts AC at any 2 wires.  When I check the specs for the inverter it is saying it's input voltage is 45-90.  So, short of a hurricane, I can't see how I will ever get enough juice to run the inverter.

So, my question is, is my turbine putting out the current that it should be in this level of wind???  Sorry for asking what is probably a very basic question, but I am not an electrician and new to wind generation. 

All thoughts and comments appreciated.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Wild AC Turbine Output
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 09:52:37 AM »
I am reluctant to comment, I see no useful and reliable information on that web site.

The only comment I will make is that in all probability most grid tie inverters need dc in. Unless your inverter has its own rectifier you need to fit one.

Those voltages you measure on open circuit are more compatible with a low voltage dc charging scheme, probably better suited to 12v than 24v.

Check the inverter information to see whether it can accept ac. If so the units are not compatible, you will need a storm to get up to inverter cut in voltage.

Flux

OperaHouse

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 10:16:12 AM »
Three 24V to 120V transformers might do it if you phased them properly.  It would be expensive.  The bigger problem is you are unlikely to get more than 100W out of that 1600W turbine from reports that I have seen.  Not a good payback.  What model is your grid tie?

scaseley@eastlink.ca

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 10:50:20 AM »
I purchased a Sun Series Grid Tie Power Inverter - Model - GTI-W2000-AL-LCD  and yes, it is designed to take Wild 3 Phase AC as input.

bart

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 12:19:11 PM »
This manufacturer does not have a good reputation on this. Here is a couple of threads about them:

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,146584.0.html

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,146772.0.html

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 02:35:45 PM »
You have a nice lawn ornament, if it says Missouri in the brand name it is bad news.  I see your inverter doesn't have any certifications either so using it might be illegal in your location.