Author Topic: Hubmotors as wind generators  (Read 1617 times)

Harold in CR

Hubmotors as wind generators
« on: December 05, 2014, 09:19:34 AM »

This topic was touched on, earlier, but, nothing definite was determined.

I have 2 Crystalyte 1000w bicycle hub motors. Both need rewinding. (3540 frames) as I received them.

I have 1 for now, low speed (200-250 RPM max., wind turbine that I need to get installed. It is a Lenz2 torque rather than speed type, so, gearing a little will be possible. I know what to expect for average wind conditions, if this will help. I can average 14 MPH winds on most days that I get wind. It's usually windy or not up here on the hill.  Yes, this may not be really helpful info, but, bear with me. I know I can get useful generation, especially at night.

I will have solar panels, eventually, and, have a stream to maybe get 2.4KWhr per day at the lowest flow rate of the stream. Dry season, will be the 2.4Kwhr per day. Rainy season (8 months) will raise the output to double or more, depending on amount of rain per day.

My battery system , so far, is 12V. I would probably raise that to 24V, once I start getting the system ironed out.

Distance from the Wind turbine to the battery will be less than 100' including elevation of the turbine.

I plan on belt drive, possibly with timing belt type system for efficiency.

I would appreciate some input on what to wind these motors at. They are both, presently, 12 X 5 winds. This is considered a "fast" wind for bicycles. 9 X 7 is considered a "slow" wind motor for hilly areas for bike riding. Wire gauge I will mic later today. I can't find the notes I had. I have larger gauge magnet wire to do the first motor. Will supply both sizes.

Presently waiting for a phone call to purchase a Chevy Volt battery, so, confined to the house for now.

Thanks for any input.

Harold

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Hubmotors as wind generators
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 12:17:47 PM »
The 435lb. Volt battery is T shaped with heat sinks in the middle. It's a beast to handle. What are you paying/getting? Used? 2015 model is 17.1kw up 0.6kw from 2014. Something that large is going to require a lot or current to charge. And at 355v dc it's definitely lethal.

Are you going to break it down?

Harold in CR

Re: Hubmotors as wind generators
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 12:49:46 PM »

Yes, I will break it down. It's a used battery with 15000 miles on the car. How many of that are strictly from battery use is anyones guess. I want to sell a couple of 48V modules, to help me pay for this. I have been rereading a thread on diyelectriccar.com forum, about how to do the surgery.

Just have to pay attention and NOT cut the links between cells in each module group.

These things are getting hard to find, and, I don't want to wait for a newer battery to come out. Need to get to the shop and measure the windings and magnet wire I have, so, maybe someone can offer some ideas/usable info to wind these things.