Author Topic: Peltier's  (Read 2704 times)

greenkarson

Peltier's
« on: December 24, 2014, 12:32:27 AM »
With winter here again my thoughts have turned back to TEG's. I haven't done a any real experimenting with them yet. But would like to. I'm a little hesitant to spend a bunch of money on a dud idea. But here is my situation. At my cabin here in Canada from November to April outside is usually in the -c° and woodstove is going non stop. Whenever I'm there. Already have a 100w turbine in the creek and 150w of solar. But could always use few more watts!

So here is what I'm imagining. A plate of TEG's to cover the whole top of wood stove roughly 18"x20". On top of the TEG's a aluminum water jacket. A 1/2" pipe running straight up out of the centre of the water jacket threw the ceiling. Into a radiator in the unheated attic space. With a return line going back down and into the water jacket low on one side. That way I could get a thermal siphon going cooling the top of the TEG's. I know there would be some bugs to work out to get a proper thermal siphon. But I'm not concerned about that. What I'm wondering. Is it reasonable to expect to maintain 50-100watts. Or what ever it works out to covering the top of the stove.

I know there are a few commercial versions out there but if they work as good as they claim. I'd of thought they would be more mainstream. And that's what makes me hesitant.

So any words of encouragement or discouragement? Or any thoughts?

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Peltier's
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 05:24:33 AM »
I have a plan/test for a low-temperature (ground-source) TEG; indeed I have the (expensive) TEG but need to dig a suitable hole to put it in...

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 02:32:48 PM »
Here's a link to a nice write up.
It may help you redesign your so you don't have such a large set of pipes.
http://geoheat.oit.edu/bulletin/bull31-4/art6.pdf

Hope it helps;
I have just a small 6V unit that I gathered some of the heat pipes out of old HP laptops that I plan on using.

One pipe in our chest freezer and other in my hand showed promise :-)

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 05:24:55 PM »
Remember, that heat you dump to the attic is heat lost to the living space, there is no free lunch.

greenkarson

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 10:48:30 PM »
Actually a bit of heat loss would be welcome. the cabin is fairly small one room 18'x24' and well insulated. With the fire going I usually have to open a window to keep the temp down to 20-25°c

I have one of those stove top fans that runs off one 40mm peltier. It seams to produce decent power with just a simple heat sink on top. So I'm a little optimistic