Author Topic: Hi All! From NY  (Read 4860 times)

THDLink

• /\ Fenner wind farm
Hi All! From NY
« on: January 05, 2015, 08:50:03 PM »
Hey everyone, I will probably be spending a lot of time here so hello!

I just started out this endeavour by purchasing a battery last week. 105Ahr 12V.

Put some terminals on it to prolong the post life.

300 Watt 500 Watt max inverter came today it was like Christmas and my birthday at the same time! Soooo shiny! Samlex commercial grade with GIF (I grounded the inverter) pure sine wave; true 120VAC .... fan blew real nice on it

I read on here that wind turbines are difficult to deal with and I get the idea; wind was my original plan. Last night I ordered a 100 Watt 12V mono panel with a cheap PWM charge controller and 25ft of 10/2 stranded.

Super pumped! I think I'll use the system to power a timelapse camera 12watt and maybe a pump for my garden or fish tank 50watt

I welcome comments and hope to get to know the guys and gals and the alternative energy ideas!
No pics I guess... what's the deal with 100kb?
"We're going to need more batteries"

THDLink

• /\ Fenner wind farm
Pics
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 09:22:07 PM »
ok this is the only way I figured out how to shrink these images

THDLink

• /\ Fenner wind farm
plug
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 09:23:40 PM »
The plug is how i grounded the inverter.. right to the house outlet

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Hi All! From NY
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 12:41:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum !
Whereabouts in NY? several people here that hail from that beautiful state
The picture size limit is so the people who are still on dialup (due to remote locations ) can also see them without waiting a week for one 5meg file to load :).
Having said that, there are several ways of resizing photos for here.
Do a quick google/bing/duckduckgo and for photo resizing and you can get  several really good ones for free, no matter what your OS happens to be :-).

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

OperaHouse

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 01:30:33 PM »
Grounding at the plug is a convenient way to do it.   However, 99% 0f the inverters like yours have a floating neutral.  That is both prongs of your plug are HOT electrically.  If you try to tie into your house wiring it will blow up the inverter.  Connecting to the house is a major discussion.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 02:09:54 PM »
Do NOT ground to the house wiring, use the ground terminal on the back of the unit to a ground rod that connect to the utility ground. From the users manual

"When using the inverter in a building, connect a 10 mm2 or AWG #8 insulated stranded
copper wire from the above equipment grounding lug to the Earth Ground connection
( a connection that connects to the Ground Rod or to the water pipe or to another
connection that is solidly bonded to the Earth Ground ). The connections must be tight
against bare metal. Use star washers to penetrate paint and corrosion."

gww

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 05:19:23 PM »
mary b
I have a devilbiss generator.  If I try to use it hooked through a manual transfer switch to my outback inverter, would what you suggest work?  Is the gound on the generator the bolt or just something hooked to the generator frame and then to house ground.  My generator may not work with the outback inverter as most outback grid tie only have success with inverter generators.  However it might if charging is all I do and I don't carry loads also.  If The inverter doesn't accept it I may still be able to run my critical loads with the inverter in bypass.  Grounding is the one thing keeping me from trying my generator out.  I hope my question fits with the subject matter and is not a thread steal.
Thanks
gww

THDLink

• /\ Fenner wind farm
Thanks for all the responses!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 07:36:53 PM »
I was looking into grounding it to a rod but figured this way would be ok for now. I'll keep it in mind when I step up my systems!

THDLink

• /\ Fenner wind farm
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 08:18:45 PM »
I'm currently living in Syracuse

THDLink

• /\ Fenner wind farm
live/
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 10:02:25 PM »
Coming to you live off the power grid on my tablet. The music sounds great on the inverter somehow better...it says less than 3% thd. Might get a meter to see if that's better than the grid.
Sorry it's to the wall I'm confident in my workmanship not crossing wires; better than nothing in my book. Any potential differences... .I'm not touching a faucet, but  it is  well water...

So neutral is connected to ground in some ?
This one has a GFCI...?

In electronics engineering class we grounded to the outlet and someone said just don't forget to shuffle your feet before and after touching plumbing. They got kicked out of class.. I still don't understand why that happen.

Touchy subject  ::)

THDLink

• /\ Fenner wind farm
/
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 10:08:41 PM »
OOps my bad I think professor said go check and made him go see if he would get shocked

THDLink

• /\ Fenner wind farm
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 10:10:55 PM »
By shocked I mean zapped a little!

gww

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 10:44:27 PM »
Didn't syracuse have a chrysler plant that got closed.  I met a couple of those guys in detroit or vegas right before they closed it if I got my facts right.  I tried to steal your thread and didn't even say welcome first.  So welcome to the forum.
Cheers
gww

THDLink

• /\ Fenner wind farm
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 11:02:27 PM »
Thanks! I don't know much about generators or Syracuse, I'm from Rochester NY. Moved here 6 months ago. I do know if you want to use a generator on a job site the frame suffices as ground  :)

gww

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 11:05:21 PM »
It's cool, I worked it out on anouther site.
gww