Author Topic: old panels  (Read 2586 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
old panels
« on: January 11, 2015, 01:39:48 PM »
My neighbor has not put his panels up and has had them for at least 16 years. He moved across the country 11 years ago. They are still in their crates. He said he will mount them next year. He did put up poles last year. They are suppose to be all of the same but the marking on the crates is not all the same. Time has erased the names. They have been setting outside for at least 10 years.  I told him that they may be in poor condition. I told him I would help him set them up on the poles but they should all be tested before installation.  Would these  panels have broken down  just sitting inside there crates? I think they are all 12v. He has 24 panels. This spring they will be opened up and a person could look at them for general damage. But don't most panels lose their productive capacity over the years. Never completely but as a guess lose up to 20% - 30% over the last 20 years? With them inside their crates they may or may not have broken down? 13
MntMnROY 13

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: old panels
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 01:55:00 PM »
Modern (crystalline) panels are said to have ~0.5%/year reduction in performance, but 16 year-old panels are likely to be very poor by modern standards even if working as shipped.  It's likely to be more effective to donate them to a museum and buy new ones, sadly, at a guess.

Same would apply if he'd kept a TV or fridge or car in its crate that long...

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

mab

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 04:01:32 PM »
as Damon says they technology has move on in 16years, though if they were good crystalline panels they may well be fine (I shudder to think what they'd've cost back then though if they are good ones).

I kind of though that the rated degradation of panels is largely due to exposure to sunlight - in which case they should be fine; that said, if you live in a humid climate like mine they may well have suffered from moisture ingress.

The only sure fire way of knowing is to get 'em out in the sun and try 'em.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 06:48:29 PM »
A friend has a 40 year old crystalline panel that is still producing 80% of rated power... he uses it to charge his radio backup battery and he takes it with camping to keep stuff for the boat charged

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 02:53:19 AM »
I guess will see this spring. If he gets his frames done?? 13
MntMnROY 13

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 01:10:37 AM »
Same would apply if he'd kept a TV or fridge or car in its crate that long...
Rgds
Damon

Depends on if it's a 1989 Ferrari, or a 1989 Toyota Tercel...

As long as they're intact and test OK, I'd rather see those panels go up and be used - if only so that the sunk cost of purchasing them isn't wasted, but also I don't like seeing things go to waste.
Some identification may be found on the panels themselves (sticker, data plate), despite losing the labels on the crates. 
From that you could judge the amount of degradation, if significant. 

This neighbour of yours, who seems willing to spend thousands of dollars on stuff he doesn't use...  sounds like someone who needs to be convinced to get an outdoor pool... maybe a sauna... 

Good luck!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 03:20:14 AM »
I hate waste too, but I think we need to set expectations low...

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social