Author Topic: Amperes per Coils / Phases  (Read 3600 times)

Eolos

Amperes per Coils / Phases
« on: January 17, 2015, 05:38:21 AM »
First of all i thank to everyone who share their knowledge & their own experiences here. I'm reading topics about 6 months and i couldnt find some answers so i opened this topic.

My questions are about amperes and resistance. For example; 3 Phases 30 coils 40 poles... 10 coils per one phase.

And now my questions..

1-) If i measure the 1 coil resistance is 0,2 Ohm that means 2 Ohm per 1 phase.. So what about the total resistance of the stator in Delta and Star connections?

2-) In Delta connection if i produce 30 Amperes, how will it split to phases and coils? Only 1 phase produce 30 amperes? And 3 amperes for each coils? Or another something?

3-) In Star connection how 30 Amperes output will split to phases & coils?

I have to learn these principles. And if some of you guys can explain me te answers i'll gladly be happy.

At last sorry for the grammer faults:) I hope i could explain what i want. Thanks !

Eolos (Guardian of the Wind)

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Amperes per Coils / Phases
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 06:18:16 AM »
The resistance in star will be twice the resistance of one phase, in this case 4 ohms. When delta connected it will be 1/3 of the star case or 1.33 ohms

When connected to a rectifier charging batteries the star case will conduct through a pair of wires at any instant so 2 wires will carry the dc current and the other carry nothing. This is not the same as for a 3 phase alternator driving a balanced resistive load.

The delta case is more complicated, all three windings will conduct but not equally, you basically have 2 star connected coils and one feeding directly, the 2 circuits are in parallel. There is usually a significant circulating current round the delta unless the waveform and voltage balance is perfect.

For predicting performance with a star connected axial charging a battery you will get better answers if you regard the line resistance as being multiplied by a factor of 1.3. Instead of the expected 4 ohms you will get better answers if you treat it as 5.2 ohms when predicting output.

Flux

Eolos

Re: Amperes per Coils / Phases
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 08:42:47 AM »
Your answers are enough for me Flux. Thanks for it.

So if i use #12 Awg (3 mm2) wirings, in star connection my maximum amperes will be 7,5 A x 2 = 15 Amperes before the stator burnout if there is no cooling system.