Author Topic: VAWT decoration  (Read 1757 times)

lifer

VAWT decoration
« on: January 21, 2015, 02:40:36 PM »
It might sound silly but I have a strange "design" problem with my VAWT.

It's a Lenz2 design and although it looks OK by itself, it seems not to integrate with the architectural surroundings.

It's placed on my house flat roof (10m from ground) and its wings are made of raw aluminum sheets.

I thought that silver (aluminum) would be quite neutral (like clouds) but in the end it is too shiny and the whole  thing looks bizarre enough (like an UFO or something).

I wonder if I could change its appearance by using custom colors/patterns, horizontal/helical stripes or something similar.

Does anyone has any artistic backgrounds (okay.. just kidding!) to guide me for a reasonable VAWT outlook? My house has a pale white/brown (dark wood) combination but I also have the (blue) PV panels which seems to integrate much better.

I was thinking that horizontal stripes makes you look flat(!) so I have to use vertical or helical stripes (to look OK while spinning, too).

And nope, I'm not getting nuts.. I really like it (and it's useful too) but just don't match the existing status quo.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: VAWT decoration
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 02:57:39 PM »
i have a degree in industrial design/product design/graphic design.
that covers not only how things can be made but how things look .
in industry i built proto types and ran graphic design departments.
when i left the city i started a decorating company specializing in upscale clients with deep pockets.
one of the reasons i build vertical mills is because they offer a decorative surface.
it's hard to hide a lenz 2
paint it medium grey, no shine.

lifer

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 03:22:43 PM »
Wow.. nice backgrounds! You have all my respects (I always had a crush on design/architecture).

Medium grey it's the next step, perhaps. I once thought about some sort of cage (or wind concentrators) to dissimulate its presence. So no stripes/patterns could help?

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 04:10:19 PM »
Flat black/dark gray is the color Amateur Radio operators use to hide antenna parts and make them blend with the sky better

lifer

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 04:54:18 PM »
From what I've read so far, seems like the purple(!) it's the way to go.. to protect bats and birds (I must admit I was forgotten about our little friends out there). On the other hand, white and light grey attract the insects.. and I was thinking about neighbourhood architecture. ;)

Okay.. maybe I should start with medium gray and going darker if needed.

Btw.. "Wind Power in View: Energy Landscapes in a Crowded World" (Martin J. Pasqualetti) it's a good reading for HAWT owners, too.