Author Topic: Weatherproof Rectifiers  (Read 3232 times)

Yianie123.

Weatherproof Rectifiers
« on: January 26, 2015, 10:06:31 PM »
I am finalizing my thoughts and would like to ask, are there weather proof rectifiers?  I was hoping to attach the rectifiers on the back of the plate that is used to support the threaded rods.  Up by the wind, staying cool.  All help is appreciated.  Thank you.

gww

Re: Weatherproof Rectifiers
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 10:27:13 PM »
Most people like their rectifiers on the ground as it is a point of posible failure and you don't have to lower the turbine to fix it.  I have mine on my tower attached to my turbine and minimumly covered.  I attatched a alum storm door rail, put the rectifiers on it and sliped a 2 liter plastic soda bottle over it.  I got this from one of hugh piggotts plans.  I had to lower the tower once due to a failure cause of lightning.

I have two turbines this way and they have been up for about a year and a half.
Good luck
gww

joestue

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 10:30:09 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/CRC-Urethane-Viscous-Coating-Temperature/dp/B000IC7ZQ2

Much larger packages have wire bonded silicon dies that are held under a rather expensive silicon goo that is waterproof.
The epoxy based packages of smaller components does absorb water, but I haven't kept up to date with whether or not that actually matters anymore.

And you should definitely have half a dozen metal oxide varistors on the dc side of the rectifier to prevent over voltage failure caused by nearby lightning strikes. (a direct hit will almost always be catastrophic and it isn't worth the expense to prevent)
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

kitestrings

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 01:54:54 PM »
I was hoping to attach the rectifiers on the back of the plate

Just my $.02, but I wouldn't do it.  As stated they are subject to failure with nearby lightning, and the 3-phase down to the ground is a bit more efficient I believe (though given, it's more conductors).  Some of the earliest Dunlite/Quirks machines had a diode plate up in the generator.  You had to take down a 600# machine to replace a $2 diode.

I do believe Phil on the Backshed forum has a design where the rectifier is tucked inside a weather alternator cowling.

I just can't think of enough benefits to warrant the potential frustration.  ~ks

gww

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 03:12:25 PM »
I would not have mine on the tower but for that I built 5 phase stators and at that point it was just two many conductors to run to the ground.  Even hugh who desined this turbine, said this was one of its weaknesses.  I don't worry about wetness but I have expereince with lightning.  Besides, it is nice to have as much as posible where you can work on it with as little extra work as posible.
gww

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 01:03:20 AM »
heres a waterproof rectifier DanB and I were trying out :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZmSIu3SMos

Just kidding of course. Best to keep rectifiers off the tower IMHO

RoyR
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 03:03:32 PM »
Gives new thoughts to "fried rectifier".

Flux