Author Topic: frames for panels  (Read 1978 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
frames for panels
« on: February 10, 2015, 03:14:04 PM »
Maybe I should have added this to my last post.
This last two weeks we have been getting heavy gusts of wind. My neighbor suggested that I put a space between each panel to help break up the wind effect on the panels. They will be 10 long 7 ft wide 4 panels per pole 3 sets. 42 inches from the ground.  I plan on putting them horizontal to try and get just below the crest of a ridge  that is about 25 ft from the panels.  I've never seen any panels done this way.  4 or 6 in between the panels 6 ft between the panel ends before the next one. We normally do not have high winds but it is making me think.  I am going to buy steel March 5 and start to assemble things. So could you guys give me any of the Pros / Cons ?? 13
MntMnROY 13

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: frames for panels
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 04:13:20 PM »
I may be misunderstanding you, but I think you should almost always have a slope of 5--10 degrees from the horizontal to prevent pooling of water (gathering dust, etc).

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

thirteen

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 07:00:14 PM »
4 panels in the middle and between each panel a 6 in gape  (open space ) between each panel. Each panel is 60 in long x 42 in wide
Frames before each panel will be 6 in longer and 6 in wider allowing wind to go between the panels. Thus breaking up the impact of the wind.
I hope this clears it up a little better.  I've always seen panels bolted close together. This will be a slight change from the norm, but I will have the room. I put flags up to see where the wind blew at times. Normally I have very little wind and it comes in gusts when it really blows. I will be about 16in blow where the ridge of the mountain allows the wind to blow. If I turn the panels vertical the extra 3 ft is in the wind area. So I am putting them horizontal. 13
MntMnROY 13

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 10:30:34 PM »
What Damond  posted meant, the lower edge or panel frame should be a few degrees off of horizontal  to prevent water collecting.
  I've noticed on my panels that the back side of the panels get wet in a heavy rain. not a problem on mine since my array is situated so there are no pure horizontal planes plus I have small drain holes drilled into the panel frames at the lowest point to prevent any water from accumulating or standing.
 My array is mounted 8 ft off the ground at the lowest point it is about 10 ft by 9 ft mounted on a sch 80 6" pipe I tie the array down when I think there are going to be gust of over 40 MPH other wise there has not been a problem in the 2 + years of operation. 60 MPh storm gust get scary though
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

thirteen

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 01:04:03 AM »
I realized that after thinking about it some. My panels will have to be secured all of the time. I will not be able to go up and secure them easily. I will have holes drilled into the bottom of the panel frames for drainage. Getting up to my panels will be a chore. I will get a trail up to them but it will take some time to build one. I will have to go up there 2-3 times a year. After I get my stuff pulled up there I will use the rope to help get up and down the mountainside (550 ft). One of my concerns is the snow sticking to the panels. I'll figure that out next winter. It will be nice if everything goes right and I get electricity about August. Just in time for a fridge. 13
MntMnROY 13