Author Topic: 36 volt forklift battery?  (Read 3059 times)

jenkinswt

36 volt forklift battery?
« on: February 19, 2015, 05:10:24 PM »
Ok I've had my 24 volt system with used telecom batteries for a few years now and I'm looking to upgrade. Found a guy with a few 2 year old 36 volt 765 ah at 6 hrs. Should be about 1206 ah at 20 hrs. Weighs 2300 pounds! Well I just upgraded to a midnite 150 charge controller so charging isn't a issue but not many options for inverters.

Should I pass on battery? Or remove a few cells and keep it 24 volt? I wasn't sure if I could parallel the extra cells? I did find a aims 5000 watt inverter but its msw. I have a 1500 watt pure sine now and love it but could use just a bit more sometimes.

I currently have 6 250 watt panels hooked up but have 8 more when it gets nicer out so I should be able to charge that big of battery. Anyways I have a feeling the answer is find a different battery but would love some opinions!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: 36 volt forklift battery?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 05:16:59 PM »
If the price is right get 2 of them and combine 1/3 of each into a 24 volt pack. Otherwise I would remove some cells and keep them as backup. Trickle charge them as needed or use them as a 12 volt system for lighting...

jenkinswt

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 06:26:06 PM »
I thought about that but it's 2000 each. Brand new it's 5000.

TDC

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 08:23:40 PM »
For what it's worth, I read here on fieldlines that forklift batteries need to be deep cycled, they don't like shallow cycles/partial discharges.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 08:58:21 PM »
Flooded forklift batteries need to be heated up with charging current so the electrolyte doesn't layer. Our sealed lift battery maker says you get a certain number of cycles from them, whether shallow or deep, so you might as well run them down a bit then back up. BUT they should not be sitting long in a discharged state, because they will sulfate.

jenkinswt

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 09:56:28 PM »
If I split it at 24 volt can I take the extra cells and wire them parallel? Supposedly they've been periodically charged while in storage.

I don't plan on it sitting fully charged all the time. I'm wanting to add a small a/c this summer and I'm also building a shop and have plenty of power tools. I really wanted to go 48 volt but it looks like 24 would be easier than 36....unless I find a different battery.

phil b

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 03:25:24 AM »
Some of the big battery manufacturers have batteries they take on the show tour. Those can be had reasonably. And their reps will make whatever battery you need. Some can be had at half price.

check GNB batteries through your local shop.
Phil