Author Topic: Combine Panel Wiring at Panels or Controller  (Read 3168 times)

kittysmitty

Combine Panel Wiring at Panels or Controller
« on: March 09, 2015, 05:31:59 AM »
I'm installing 3 135 watt 12 volt panels using a pole mount. Does it make a difference in performance if I run the panel wires separately to the change controller and combine the wire there, or combine the three panels at the pole and run one set to the charge controller. I would run #10 wire if separate, or #6 if combined. Current of each panel is 7.45 amps and distance about 20 feet, Cost of wire is NOT a Factor. Thanks

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Combine Panel Wiring at Panels or Controller
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 06:17:21 AM »
Unless you get different shading (in which case you could consider a multi-input controller), or you end up with different aggregate series resistance in the wiring somehow, then it should make no difference if I've understood you correctly.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

lifer

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 10:43:36 AM »
You might consider connecting all three panels in series (if your charge controller allows a bigger input voltage) and run with only two #10 wires.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 12:01:10 PM »
Depends on the circumstances, the best way is to use the 3 panels in series with a mppt controller but as Damon mentioned no panel must be shaded when the others are in sun.

With direct connection and no mppt then it doesn't matter if you use thin individual leads or thick combined leads. Either way will still work with panel shading.

There is little to gain with mppt if you use 12v panels on a 12v system. If there is no shading problem then mppt will give better results with the panels in series and could be worth the more expensive controller, it will reduce line loss to a low level and get you better charge on bright winter days when the batteries are low.

If you go for mppt then make sure it is a mppt controller, there is a lot of doubtful stuff for sale.

Flux

kittysmitty

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 05:48:52 PM »
Let's clarify. Panels will be in parallel. PMW controller. Cost of wire in NOT a factor. Cost of controller is.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 06:24:21 PM »
Separate wires of #10 will be slightly better than combined on #6 but either will be ok.

Flux

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 11:20:30 AM »
It would be easier to test things or if they are separate.
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 10:18:41 AM »
Go cheap on batteries, go cheap on the solar panels, but NEVER go cheap on the charge controller! It is the heart of your system!

I starved to get the Morning star Mppt 60 back 4 years ago when it cost 800 bucks, but it has been worth every cent ten times over!

First controler was an Mppt sunsaver 15, it was a huge boost in system performance, I swore I'd never use any thing ells again, if you rely on your solar get a mppt controler!
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!