Author Topic: Blocking Diodes Assembly  (Read 2588 times)

Yianie123.

Blocking Diodes Assembly
« on: March 23, 2015, 01:12:38 PM »
Hello everyone.  I am at the blocking diodes assembly.  It seems simple enough, but I am struggling with finding a metal electrical box, metal inner plate mounted inside the box, so that I can mount the blocking diodes.  Are there suppliers that have metal plates inside of a metal box or are there supplliers that have an assembly that can be purchased or is there an easier way to mount blocking diodes to protect them from harsh weather and rain?  Thank you...

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
Re: Blocking Diodes Assembly
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 12:18:43 AM »
is this for tower-top mounting (at the alternator)? or at the base of the tower?

Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »
NEMA enclosure is what you are searching for http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hoffman-Polycarbonate-Enclosure-E211610PPT-Nema-4x-Enclosure-Inculdes-Backplate-/181718858511?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4f49bb0f just an example, I don't know the size you need/indoor or outdoor/...

kitestrings

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 07:04:18 PM »
Y,

When you say blocking diodes, you're talking about a rectifier?  Typically people either buy a "potted" bridge rectifier or, build a stud-diode rectifier.  The potted types are simple, inexpensive but probably not as robust.  If your building one with diodes you will probably need some sort of heat sink material to help keep them cool, but this can sometimes be integrated into your housing/box.  I'm assuming this is on the ground.  Perhaps if you can clarify your application it will help.

~ks

EcoElementalist

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 10:51:31 PM »
The Schottky blocking diodes/rectifiers are quite robust for marine solar and wind applications but would still need mounting to a metal heat sink and housed.

What about utilising small corner brackets to mount the diodes to dissipate the heat and house them in a standard metal box?