Author Topic: Slewing motor for a tracking array.  (Read 2737 times)

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
Slewing motor for a tracking array.
« on: March 25, 2015, 07:18:55 PM »
Anybody ever had any experience? I have several in mind I could build but if there was a place I could get a couple at a reasonable price it would save me a lot of time.
There are going to be two 32 panel arrays about 16' X 22', I'm going to be using trackers from solarstalker.com
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Atokatim

Re: Slewing motor for a tracking array.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 05:48:40 PM »
I designed my own tracking system and used linear actuators instead so the panels tilt instead of rotate.  Less amperage draw while moving and it holds up to wind pretty well.  Been tested to 55MPH wind so far and it held :)  The circuit I made is one that uses IR sensors to detect where the sun is and the processor calculates a running average to avoid moving when clouds pass.  It is also controllable via the web since I use the XBee Wifi module to communicate with my web server.  In high wind, the entire array "parks" to have the least resistance against the wind.

Slew drives are expensive while linear actuators are much cheaper and can handle quite a load.  Here is a link of my Enphase system : https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/pv/systems/689770

You can click on System Details and then on Photos to see a picture.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 06:14:27 PM »
Wow! Zombie thread, thanks for the reply, I've come quite a  ways since I posted this, I have engineered prints now for a system I came up with, with a linear actuator for north south and a gear reducer and motor for east west, tested on AutoCad 3D to 90 MPH.
I'll sign up and take a look at yours though.
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Atokatim

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 10:41:22 PM »
The link I posted is for login only...oops!  here is a public link : https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/pv/public_systems/7bbq689770

It sounds like you have come up with one like the one I have on my shed.  This was my first design but I could not afford to up size it enough to handle 10 panels so I went with the other design that uses 2 linear actuators.

It handles the wind pretty well and has seen 73mph wind before. 

Here is a pic of the system I just put in a couple months ago.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 07:14:04 AM »
Sort of, but my arrays are going to be 22'x18' my main pole is 12" round tube.