Author Topic: SMA Sunny Island, 50HZ leaps to 60HZ, SI6,OH-11  (Read 2970 times)

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
SMA Sunny Island, 50HZ leaps to 60HZ, SI6,OH-11
« on: March 14, 2015, 03:47:19 PM »
My Observations on the Sunny Island 6 SI6,OH-11, New, purchased 2014, European Market 50HZ.

Problem, 50HZ leaps to 60HZ, SI6,OH-11, (2014) Battery Current Sensor Shunt.

At present I have enough PV DC coupled sources to charge my 1300ah 48v bank of batteries, but it might be nice to use the SI sometimes especially as I add more AC Coupling in the future as it can also take AC and back charge the 48vdc batteries.

With my particular SI6,OH-11, (2014) when entering the type and values of the Shunt into the SI software I noticed it is factory set at 100amp 50mv or 60mv, now obviously I set this to 250amp at 60mv to match my physical shunt itself.

However, what I find is during the shut down and restart procedures when installing the shunt, the shunt setting can revert back to a factory setting.

So you think everything is going to be okay, then a little bit of DC coupling, in this instance only 40amps, and this software bit with the Shunt throws the SI Inverter from 50Hz straight to 60Hz mode, it does not climb steadily, no, it just jumps up.

SO......If you are going to have a lot of DC Coupling, and for me it could be as much as 150amps, .........Then.......DURING THE BATTERY CURRENT SENSOR SET UP, PLEASE ENSURE THE SETTING FOR YOUR ACTUAL SHUNT MATCHES THE SETTINGS IN THE SOFTWARE, AND THAT THE SOFTWARE SETTING HAS NOT REVERTED TO A FACTORY SETTING, as mine kept doing.

My lasts set up I ended up doing it twice, and I keep checking, and its holding, so far....... fingers crossed!.

I can now understand why SMA are not particular interested as DC Coupling, as it is not their ball game, and the SI was meant to blend/join in with their AC products.

But Importantly perhaps a little more information in their manual about DC Coupling, source connections etc, might have been helpful for some of us. Instead we have got the European & Australian Forums guiding us along. 

So that's the TRIGGER FAULT, WATCH THAT FACTORY DEFAULT SETTING.
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

boB

• boB
Re: SMA Sunny Island, 50HZ leaps to 60HZ, SI6,OH-11
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 02:39:52 PM »
WoW !  Very intersting...

Better I guess that it jumps from 50Hz to 60 Hz rather than the other way around for load's sake.

I haven't seen this problem over here with the 60Hz S.I's going to 50 Hz.

Sounds like you may have found a bug.  I would definitely tell SMA about this one.

boB

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 03:24:36 PM »
I have tried and tried telling them, banging my head against a brick wall comes to mind.

To be honest 'boB' this Sunny Island inverter is supposed to be for isolated communities/small villages in the middle of nowhere, like mine, as advertised by SMA in their videos.

I have built my own Wind Turbines and PV solar trackers can do PCB boards etc, modified UPS units, so I think I am sort of competent. :P
 But the support offered by SMA in their manuals and on line videos etc, is very very lacking and poor. Their response seems to be their is a fault fit just another one........ ::)

Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

kitestrings

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 11:06:10 PM »
Ohh!  This can't be good for things.  Good catch.