Author Topic: Solar Poles  (Read 1923 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
Solar Poles
« on: May 13, 2015, 10:54:39 AM »
I am going to start to dig my holes for the poles for my solar panels. I've seen several different ways it has been done from the pictures posted. I do have wind from the north northwest at times that is pretty good. But not consistent, just during the spring storms and off and on in the late fall. Is there a handy formula for the size of the base. There will be 3 panels each post and one more could be added later if needed. 3 ft in the ground 16 in wide concrete base, above ground 9 ft high 4 in sed. 40 pipe. 10 ft long panel  supports(frame) 6 ft pivot point, 4 ft above 6 ft below. I will be adjusting them three times a year to different angles. Twice to pivot them for winter sunlight. There is a mountain in my way during the time from late November to February. I cannot see a problem but it does not hurt to ask. 13
MntMnROY 13

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Solar Poles
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 06:16:33 PM »
That is a huge wind load... I don't have the formulas handy but for my ham radio towers the bases for free standing are massive. One is 6x6x4 block of concrete for a 48 foot tower that came down in a tornado...

You need to calculate the overturning force at the base of your pipe then size the concrete to match...

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 12:06:36 AM »
Thanks .
I should clarify a few things. Panels on each pole are 3. 255 w, 66 in wide x 118 in tall. There is a space between the panels 1 in. They are sitting horizontally  stacked. I was going to put 4 on each pole but that is way to much so I went with 3.
I may have to put a dead man on the windy side of the poles. They will be about 25 ft from the edge of the north ridge. I put flags up there before and the winds should only hit the top 3-4 feet of the panels. The tops should only be about 11-12 ft from the ground(not level).
I will see what it will take to make a bigger base for each one. Bigger base means more concrete hauled up the mountain side then mixed by hand. I'm just whining.  No trails just pull everything up in a sled. 13
MntMnROY 13

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 12:55:26 AM »
I went with a 4 legged frame to hold my panels... 4cu feet of concrete on each leg plus the ground strength here is very high. Mine survived 95mph winds so far...