Author Topic: Lisateroid is finally home  (Read 4940 times)

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
Lisateroid is finally home
« on: June 12, 2015, 10:00:50 PM »
 About 6 months ago we bought a listeroid set at 600 RPM 8 hp with a generator and 550 gallons of un-reprocessed used motor oil also a bout 30 gallons of processed oil into diesel.
 for months it has been either too wet or the man was never home or we couldn't allocate a day to haul the stuff.
 Our plans are eventually to use it possibly as the back up generator maybe use it around the property for other things.
 we got the processer and a couple of pumps enough sodium hydroxide to process 1000 gallons of oil into diesel

I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

madlabs

Re: Lisateroid is finally home
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 04:20:53 PM »
Frank,

Nice! I have been looking for a local listeroid for years. They never seem to come up within driving range.

JOnathan

Frank S

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 08:00:34 PM »
Jonathan it took me about 20 years I was looking for a true lister peter when this one came on craigs list we felt it needed a new home.
 I heard that if you know the right persons you can buy one half from Florida the other half from somewhere out west
 or buy one of the ones called an air compressor then add the injector and pump and a couple other things.
 this one has ran for 10 years on diesel made out of motor oil.
 if it has been sitting for a while he said just add some fresh store bought fuel release the compression release spin the crank then tighten down the screw
  when we bought it it took only a couple minutes to get it started'
   I want to rebuild or build a complete new processor because his was awful hoagie  and dangerous the way he was using it.
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 11:29:07 PM »
I have heard of Lister for years. I'v never been around one. What is special about them? 13
MntMnROY 13

Frank S

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 12:35:53 AM »
 I really couldn't say with any basis to back up what I've heard.
 but I've seen this one before we bought it set to run at 300 RPM for hours on end when he was using it to power a pair of 120 amp alternators, in three hours I couldn't tell that it had used much more than a pint of the stuff he called diesel. then he put the generator that it has on it now set the rpm to around 600 then hooked up a 225 amp Lincoln buzz box to it,it just sat there quietly chugging away. Those huge flywheels smooth out about any loading spikes that a generator may see.
 In India they have been known to run for 20 years without ever being shut down.
  I have heard that they can be run at 900 RPM but I've never seen one done that way.

Frank S

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 01:09:58 AM »
I have 3 or 4 other ST style generator heads ranging from 2 KW to 8 KW
 if nothing else this engine might become a power head to test those generators with.
  Back in the 60's there used to be a guy who specialized in rebuilding the old oilfield 1 cylinder Kapow engines (that was what I called them Ajax. Fairbanks, International, Hercules and others. these old engines might have anywhere from 1 HP to 10 hp depending on their size. A lot of them were used around in the  oilfields where I grew up powering the pump jacks. Most of the fields had at least 1 well that would be a gas well. many of the engines were set up to run on this but every so often casin head or the drip liquid had to be drained off, mix that with a few crushed mothballs and the old beater 55 chevys ran just fine for a while. my 49 Chrysler straight 8 loved the stuff.

Harold in CR

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 09:36:28 AM »

My dad used to collect those old engines. He had an Otto that was a dual fuel Diesel-gasoline. It had originally a radiator set up system. It was fuel injected and had a rotary governor, unlike the flyweight types on most other brands.

We used to dig them out of the ground where they slowly settled in over time. Had some barn finds, and, Even had one that had Edison original Nickle-iron batteries. Never found out what the electrolyte was, until the internet came into being. I used that one to charge batteries, and, just stuck a plastic tube from a regulated propane tank directly into the carb and adjusted it so the engine ran at optimum sounding revs, with no choking or lean-off timing-extra heat.

Only problem was the grease cup on the crank-con rod. and I had to re-pour the babbit bearing, two different times. This was the problem with must hit-miss engines, no steady long term oil lube to the crank-rod area. Then, the "throttle-governor" type was produced, so it fired on every other stroke (4 cycle) and had an enclosed (splash) oil lube system. He only ever had 2 of those. Wouldn't even drag them home.  ::) These are the type Frank is describing.

He also had 1 windmill 8 cycle engine, that was used to run the pump jack below the turbine fan when wind wasn't available.

Had a nice 4 X 3 Rider-Errickson hot air (Sterling) water pump engine that would pump water from the ground up to a second story height water tank for house water pressure.

Sorry for the hijack, Frank   :)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 04:47:12 PM »
Frank S;
Was those 55's using the 235 ? or the 261? or the lovely 292 , that you could actually swap the head out on a 250, plug the back coolant port and have one heck of a top end  ;).

The old 235's would run on just about anything it could get to fire off sparkies.
I swear those older ones were 1/2 the entire truck's weight!!

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Frank S

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 01:51:10 AM »
Bruce S my old 55 C3200 had the 261 & 4 sp  it would pull stumps out of the ground as long as you had the bed half full of rocks.I don't think the 292 came out until much later