Author Topic: New Build w/governor photos  (Read 1851 times)

Harold in CR

New Build w/governor photos
« on: July 14, 2015, 10:03:47 AM »
Lets see if I can post a photo or 2.

Full on hub and blades

Blade drill

Close up of spider and heim joint

Spider

Boondocker

Re: New Build w/governor photos
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 06:04:16 PM »
Hello Harold,

A good way to repurpose parts.

The use of Heim joints is a nice upgrade compared to the original.

Below is a description you posted on a different thread.

"I do have photos in my camera. Will try to get them in a folder and post them up.

Actually, It's not as complicated as one might think. Instead of a casted part shaped somewhat as a triangle, I used a 1.5" slice of a 5" round steel bar. Bought 7/8 " X 12" grade 5 bolts for the blade rods and bored the holes in the sides of that disc to pound the headless bolts in, then, tacked them fast with my welder. Then, drilled the holes in the ends of the blades with a homemade drill extension jigged to the top of my wooden work table. I don't think I have a photo of that drill setup.

The spider part is a cut off from a piece of DOM tubing, I believe, machinable heavy wall tube. I had that left over from a project several years ago. Bought 5/8 bolts to use as the legs and center drilled one end and tapped threads for mounting used Heim joints I received several years ago, from a guy with a helicopter spraying business in Oregon.

There is a brass bushing I turned on a tool makers lathe pressed in the spider hub, and, that runs on a larger boss on the shaft that is the main shaft for the governor hub. That shaft is from a lower unit of a 6 cylinder outboard motor. I turned it down some on that same lathe using carbide tool bits.

The whole shaft/hub fits in a hollow shaft in the 10:1 gearbox I bought, and will run backwards so the input 1/2" shaft will turn the 24V alternator and the hollow shaft will turn approximately 250 RPM's from the blades.

I made 6' long blades to spin the 24V alternator, and, expect 1KW in a decent wind, 18-20 MPH.  The tail will still be a furling design. Sometimes we get 60 MPH winds at night, so, I'm building a fail safe just because I can, in case the governor sticks for some unknown reason.

The governor springs will take some experimenting. I used some shortened field tiller springs on the 4 KW unit I built in Arkansas, and the alternator never burned up, nor did the chargers I had wired to it. I used a variac and a 36V lester golf car charger on that rig. We were off grid for 5 years before we sold and moved.

I'm not a machinist, and this is a less than precision project, but, it should work just fine. I believe a friend with a lathe and milling machine could do this, if you know someone. There is no doubt a machine shop could do it, but, at what cost ?

Right now, I am divided into 3 projects at the same time, while waiting for a crate from Florida with the Volt batteries, an antique water pump, and other stuff, so I can proceed with my wind project(s) and my Rube Goldberg Hydro system. "

Harold in CR

Re: New Build w/governor photos
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 09:30:48 PM »

Thanks for adding that post I made on the other thread. I was going to ask an Admin if that could be done, then deleted from that thread.

As you can see, from the photos on the other thread, and, comparing what I have done, to the original Jacobs parts, it's not that big of a deal to build.

Any questions, just ask.