Author Topic: Home built ebike  (Read 3986 times)

greenkarson

Home built ebike
« on: July 14, 2015, 09:55:36 PM »
I'm building a simply evoke from a old bicycle and a electric wheelchair. Not really hoping for anything spectacular just simply roll me along for fun. Not looking to spend any real money.

Basically I just cut the pedals off a bicycle and welled a pulley on the non sprocket side. And have a v belt from motor to pulley. Long story short I fried the wheelchair speed controller.

It's a 24v brushed dc motor (geared). Will one of these 500w speed controllers work from eBay?(see picture)

Also the wheelchair had a lever that when pulled went forward when pushed went reverse. Not sure if it's a potentiometer or a switch. It's already mounted (before I fried controller) if it's a pot?(see picture) will it work with the eBay speed controller?

Any other thought or ideas? Again basically this is a near zero dollar project using salvaged parts so keep that in mind. Haha

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Home built ebike
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 04:13:27 PM »
Judging by wire size the direction control is a pot that is spring centered. I would replace it with a switch(low current) and a relay(high current) for reverse.

madlabs

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 06:56:51 PM »
What does the motor draw? Needs to be less than 20.8 amps at 24 volts for the 500W controller. Ideally less for long life. As to what the controller expexts input-wise you'd have to look at the specs. My golf cart controller uses a 5K pot for speed control, direction is switched mechanically. On a bike who needs reverse anyway.

JOnathan

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 01:25:54 AM »
Today's bike controllers often use hall sensors in the speed throttle, and usually have no reverse. (Though, some do.) So why not get a speed throttle with that controller when ordering? :)
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)