Remote Living > Housing

Bambie almost killed me

(1/6) > >>

petect:

HI all
A while back I noticed a tick embedded in an armpit. It had been there for a while. I pulled / scraped it out and felt fine for a couple of days. A few days later a delivery driver found me passed out on my driveway. I spent 6 days in the hospital. I'm feeling much better now and still recovering.

Now, I'm on mission to cut down on the number of deer that come into my yard. I'm going to try a variety of things, but would like to try to put together some simple devices that use a passive motion sensor, strobe light, and a cheap speaker to make some noise. I think just static would work. Since these things won't use much power, I think a small p.v. cell and a small super cap might be adequate, and make them portable. The ability to switch from light to sound and both would help, as deer get accustomed to “new” things fairly quickly. I'm sure I have some 1/8” plugs and jacks around.
Some possible parts I found on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Accessory-12V-2LED-Strobe-Light-Emergency-Warning-Flash-Controller-Special-/151576771473?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234aadfb91

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-DC-12V-24V-8A-Infrared-PIR-Motion-Sensor-Switch-For-LED-light-Hottest/131326713631?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D32299%26meid%3Daa531f9b035e426281e60446a7d8e1fa%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D181662991502&rt=nc

I've been following this board long enough to know to know that doing something like this isn't much of a challenge, but I would really appreciate any help I can get.

MODERATORS I'm not sure where to post this, so please feel free to move it.

Thanks in advance
Pete

thirteen:
Motion sensor tied to a sprinkler might do something and hang a few bells in the bushes so the water will ring them. Outside dog. Venison steaks and summer assuage if you are a hunter! 13

madlabs:
I live in a tick infested rural area. Feel free to reduce the deer count by any means necessary, they are a pain in the behind in many ways. Tasty too. But to reduce your tick count you might want to look at reducing tall grass and other areas they like to inhabit when not sucking blood. Around here they like Ceanothus bushes, also called tick bush. Ticks go for wood rats etc as well as deer. They hang out in these places waiting for a victim to walk by.

Hate ticks. Luckily for me I have a pretty extreme reaction to them and they never get dug in on me.

JOnathan

hiker:
Flea collar ?

DanG:
There are stages to the life cycle of ticks that can be exploited as the weakest link in reducing an areas population.

There has to be soft-skinned mammal hosts for the progression of nymph stages to successfully result in the adult tick that feeds off big mammals.

It's during those multiple feedings, three or five or more, while maturing that they can pick up infectious diseases.

So - birds, mice, ground squirrels, rabbits... providing nesting material imbued with a pyrethrin-based insecticides (cloth/cotton balls in paper towel tubes is a start) or adding diatomaceous earth to an areas' dust-bath spots, spraying nest sites and/or having a way to get game to pick up dusting or drench effect at bait stations...

Sure it is not a perfect cure but in a couple of summers it can drastically reduce the adult tick population.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version